Possible to run without a star nut / top cap on fork?

dparenti13

Local time
5:54 PM
Can I use the star nut and top cap to install the headset, then use the clamps on my triple tree fork to keep the right amount of tension on the bearings, and then remove the star nut and top cap? This might be a dumb question, I don't know too much about headsets.

I was thinking about using a key for a killswitch purely for aesthetic in the inside of the (steerer tube?) on the fork..

Any thoughts?

Theoretically yes you can.
I wouldn't even consider it because a motorised bike vibrates a lot and you never know when you'll need to retighten the headset. If you need to get home before you can do this, the bearings would likely be ruined on the way home, and the cups and the headtube of your frame could be ovalised. It doesn't take more than a few minutes to ruin your frame if any tiny amount of play creeps into the headset.
Indoor track cyclists and some road/ time trial racers may be able to do this but IMHO it is not an option for us at all.

Edit: I'm being a bit harsh. I'm sure you'll be fine if you can keep it in your toolkit and use it while you're out if necessary. Just don't ever ride while it's loose, even for a minute.

Last edited:
Theoretically yes you can.
I wouldn't even consider it because a motorised bike vibrates a lot and you never know when you'll need to retighten the headset. If you need to get home before you can do this, the bearings would likely be ruined on the way home, and the cups and the headtube of your frame could be ovalised. It doesn't take more than a few minutes to ruin your frame if any tiny amount of play creeps into the headset.
Indoor track cyclists and some road/ time trial racers may be able to do this but IMHO it is not an option for us at all.

Edit: I'm being a bit harsh. I'm sure you'll be fine if you can keep it in your toolkit and use it while you're out if necessary. Just don't ever ride while it's loose, even for a minute.
That's kind of what I was thinking, I saw something on a bike forum that said you could run without it, but now I'm definitely not going to. Thanks!

Back