Possibly a cvt on a motorized bike

CVT's can be amazing. Ask anybody with a scooter how great a cvt can be. The trick is not putting a lot of power behind them and weight to move around, which is why CVT's in cars are crap and why most auto manufacturers went for more gears. Nissan is just hell bent on trying to make their 80k mile transmission stick, and ruining their reputation even more because of it. I love my Versa, but I love it because it's a manual.
Toyota has a cvt that uses a launching gear and the bergman and an interesting gear driven variator.

Those are slick and proven. I want one but money is tight.
I investigated the enviolos, not quite heavy enough for gas Motors they are torque Limited they have built a heavy duty one for cargo e-bikes but it is still lacking for applications above one horsepower or 750 watts.

Eton a Taiwanese company that makes scooters and sall quads has a nice belt cvt, small reliable with a large aftermarket performance parts supply. Never checked into buying major components, shop i worked was a dealer so i got very familure with the machined.

I investigated the enviolos, not quite heavy enough for gas Motors they are torque Limited they have built a heavy duty one for cargo e-bikes but it is still lacking for applications above one horsepower or 750 watts.
They have one that can handle 100nm continuous which is 73 ft lbs and change. Derive torque at peak power and multiply by the reduction ratio and you will have the engines peak torque. Those ratings are for instantaneous applications of torque. E bike hot rodders will run these with the strongest mid drives, and according to them so long as the torque curves gently enough the hubs handle the abuse.

Check with @DistantWolrld101, he chopped the back off a GY6 scooter and put it on a OCC.
i rebuilt the GY6 top to bottom the way i wanted it make it run the way i wanted it because if you don't you'll run into a stock gy6 problem sooner or later, and it's really a moped/scooter strapped to a bicycle so not a fair comparison IF A CVT CAN or NOT

CVT rear hub bicycle. From the pics I can't see how it works like a scooter CVT. Any thoughts?

INFINITE GEAR RANGE
NO PREDEFINED GEARS

onyx_cvt-detail.jpg
Instead of rollers to set the variator plate you shift with your hand

Just seen an interesting thread on the Other forum about attaching a 30 series CVT to a 142. My suggestion was to add a jackshaft with a 36t and a 10t sprocket. It would work like this:
CVT (3~1\1); 9\36; 10\44.
For a reduction range of 52.8~17.6\1. The system would be fully automatic.

You can get them on eBay for around $60.

49cc 4-Stroke 30 Series Torque Converter Build

Thought I would share my first build as I have seen some conflicting info about using a 30 series torque converter with a small engine like with this 49cc 4-stroke. I did not document this very well, as this was done over 2 months. The bike has run perfect and has about 300 miles on it. You...
motorbicycling.com
motorbicycling.com

Back