Possibly change from friction drive But to????

bumleg

I have built 7 friction drive bikes. I live in Western Washington, and first thing every morning I have a steep 1 mile hill . I with lots of cussing, kicking and Yes, Crying.
Am able to manage the monster almost every morning (I can go another longer flatter route) even when the road looks like a river.
With a combo of Tire pressure, mount pressure, throttle pressure. And Blood Pressure. I would like to build something with a belt or chain I think. But what. ??? And what do I need. So what's a transmission? Get the picture?
I'm baffled with catalogs
Thank you

Will'smotobikes19

You could try to use a aftermarket whizzer sheave and belt and come up with a clutch with the right size pulley. (think its pulley instead of gear)

darwin

GEBE kit with that new honda gx50 motor. I'm seriously thinking that's my next build. If your set on a rear rack. There's rear chain drive kits like staton or dax has examples. With dax you might need to talk to him and ask. I haven't seen anything listed on his site lately.

Last edited:

mark20

I have built 7 friction drive bikes. I live in Western Washington, and first thing every morning I have a steep 1 mile hill . I with lots of cussing, kicking and Yes, Crying.
Am able to manage the monster almost every morning (I can go another longer flatter route) even when the road looks like a river.
With a combo of Tire pressure, mount pressure, throttle pressure. And Blood Pressure. I would like to build something with a belt or chain I think. But what. ??? And what do I need. So what's a transmission? Get the picture?
I'm baffled with catalogs
Thank you
budget?
a belt drive is the way to go for what your looking for,
but you can raise the engine and add a clutch (if you have a 5/8 or 3/4 shaft)
get a 60t and a rag joint, you might need to redrill the holes https://www.ebay.com/p/Go-Kart-Sprocket-60-Tooth-41-Chain-10-Universal-Rotary-8249-USA/2256066468?iid=183402121560
(or cnc hub if you have the $$$)
but the best (and easiest option)
is to get a gebe belt kit.
or even just get a CG, 100$ and it will haul you up the hill!

darwin

Axle mount kits out there also. With axle drive a honda 35 or a soobie 35/HS 38cc is perfect. Ideally a small compact motor is a must because of the mounting.

Last edited:

bumleg

GEBE kit with that new honda gx50 motor. I'm seriously thinking that's my next build. If your set on a rear rack. There's rear chain drive kits like staton or dax has examples. With dax you might need to talk to him and ask. I haven't seen anything listed on his site lately.
hi. I think you were the first person who welcomed me to this site. I am not set on a rear rack system. I am open to any knowledge i can get. i was riding a friction on a kent cruiser tandem , but got broad sided. since then ive used 3 other frames but was not happy with any. i am using a steel girls frame with a 12" offset Bottom Bracket. AND I LOVE IT, SO I DONT KNOW ABOUT A MIDSHIP TYPE OF SETUP. THANK YOU .

bumleg

hi. I think you were the first person who welcomed me to this site. I am not set on a rear rack system. I am open to any knowledge i can get. i was riding a friction on a kent cruiser tandem , but got broad sided. since then ive used 3 other frames but was not happy with any. i am using a steel girls frame with a 12" offset Bottom Bracket. AND I LOVE IT, SO I DONT KNOW ABOUT A MIDSHIP TYPE OF SETUP. THANK YOU .
I didnt mean to sound rude.
I do like the bike I have now. But I dont think it's good for a midshipman type . There are sure alot of abbreviations out there and I'm researching them. I had a tandem but got hit. I really would like to build a cargo cruiser with tank. But need funds for that one.
I have a 41-48 ( there is debate amongst the masses) Roadmaster but just can't bring myself to put a motor on her YET.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP .

Attachments

darwin

Look up pizza delivery bikes or Workman cycles. Some serious cargo bikes there. Trailer works well too, attaches easily to a standard bike. You weren't rude at all. If that's your version of rude we're gonna get along just fine.