power loss from heat

zippinaround

Local time
7:09 AM
In theory if we can reduce the heat absorbed by the engine itself it should yield better performance , recently i have been trying to find a supplier of internal engine coatings (requires sandblasting ,applying the coating then baking in an oven) well i found a supplier but this stuff is expensive , basically wondering if anyone has ever had any encounters with such coatings.

you would be better off casting a new piston and cylinder out of a hypereutectic alloy

My Suzuki 100 has ceramic coating on the piston top. It just delays the heat buildup so I don't recommend it for anything but very short races.
On these engines there's too much heat due to overly advanced ignition (assuming the jetting isn't too lean)

My Suzuki 100 has ceramic coating on the piston top. It just delays the heat buildup so I don't recommend it for anything but very short races.
On these engines there's too much heat due to overly advanced ignition (assuming the jetting isn't too lean)
What kind of ceramic coating do you know? And did you just coat the crown? The stuff I'm looking at is a thermal barrier type for Crown and combustion chamber and a dry film lubricant for the skirt , cylinder and any other metal on metal areas bearing cages etc. The barrier is 30£+vat+postage for 100 ml the dry film lube is 40£+vat+postage for 250 ml .

The thing that concerns me most is having to sandblast everything I mean a new cylinder is lovely and smooth , can't see the sense in blasting it.

Very interesting , how long ago was this? The thing about the seizing probably wouldn't happen if everything was coated , still very interesting tho , but I will be doing everything myself going from your prices the cost of the product doesn't seem too bad

that was a year ago.
you obviously didn't understand my explanation of why it seized. read it again, slowly. make sure each work has meaning. there is an art to reading which most people just don't get

Yeah you said the piston cooled slower than the cylinder but if the cylinder wad coated too they should cool at the same rate no?

if the cylinder was coated then it would be cooler and its inner diameter smaller and the engine would seize even quicker

Back