powerking motors 80cc

Local time
2:35 PM
anyone using this motor...got 120miles on an 80cc 2stroke,-----motor gone, rings froze ,needle bearings in rod cage shattered ......anyone else had these problems???....scared cylinder bad ,piston scored at both crankcase ports...tanaka 20:1 mix ,reg. fuel ,ngk.B6HS plug runnin light tan color...thanks jim
p.s. crank was very rusty...was the new black motor kit on ebay in july 06

Last edited:
How many miles for the break-in period?

I bought the silver 80cc from powerking on ebay. The motor seems solid after 6 rides. I'm breaking the motor in slowly with short rides extending outward. I'm at 10 minute durations now. Running rich oil at about 16:1, just enough to leave a slight vapor trail. I have only run one third of a gallon so far. Speed was 15-20 mph previous to muffler baffle mods today. Increased power and noise and high rev ability...Hit 25 mph for a couple of seconds and backed off to 20 and average around 18 mph. Whilst not maintain a constant speed. Variance is good.
Sorry to hear the motor did not last long. What was your riding profile like compared to mine? I all so re-torque the head bolts before each ride because the head gasket seems to still be compressing at 12.5 foot pounds.

Actually,very similiar.....would ride about 3 miles and cool down motor,then after a full tank(about 70 miles)would do short bursts downhill and open up motor about 3/4 throttle...thought we were being pretty easy on it actually,checked plug every 10 miles or so the 1st 100 miles,always looked really clean; chocolate no pitting or blistering very clean looking....but,when it 1st rattled,it went before i could even pull over..checked head bolts often; head gasket looked perfect on tear down.....oiling ports in cylinder is the culprit I think but who knows .They look and feel really rough and unfinished...Phat

Got concerned on tearing mine down and doing some detailing?

Actually,very similiar.....would ride about 3 miles and cool down motor,then after a full tank(about 70 miles)would do short bursts downhill and open up motor about 3/4 throttle...thought we were being pretty easy on it actually,checked plug every 10 miles or so the 1st 100 miles,always looked really clean; chocolate no pitting or blistering very clean looking....but,when it 1st rattled,it went before i could even pull over..checked head bolts often; head gasket looked perfect on tear down.....oiling ports in cylinder is the culprit I think but who knows .They look and feel really rough and unfinished...Phat

Actualy, I should have polished the ports and manifolds, and at least looked inside the case for any obvious clean up...Does the side screws on engine cover expose bottom end bearings in question with the oil ports?

don't know this the ist happy time i've torn down,i saw the rusty crank when i pulled the cylinder.haven't looked at the bottom end rod bearing yet...there is alot of sideplay in the rod ,so i assume it ain't gonna be good.....am goin to get a different engine ,i think ...I should have checked around a little more .PhaT:eek:

you get what you pay for with the happy times, most of them are garbage with a few exceptions. Mine had holes in the upper assembly, throttle cable too short, throttle assembly broke during installation, idler bolts stripped out, and BOTH my intake and exhaust gaskets rotted out in the first two weeks i had the engine. Oh well, it still runs but i have spent WAY too much time fixing all the little problems with this engine. Problems that should not have been there in the first place.

Had to add high temp gasket silcone to exuast gasket after sixth ride. Noticed a little oil spittle on the cooling fins and header. So it was not hard to seal the gasket to prevent hot gas burn through.

crankcase port i was talking about being "unfinished"

It seems a ring caught this port ,broke and well new motor time...side of piston very burned and ring welded in; about 3/4 of inch of it at this crank port....Phat

Attachments

• parts%20003.jpg
    parts%20003.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 2,223
That sucks man, i would recommend getting a skyfire engine due to the fact that they are the ONLY engines that are not cheap ripoffs of grubees products. Almost all of the happytimes have been reversed engineered from the original and best- Grubees engines. Not trying to start anything with any vendors, but they know this too. There is nothing wrong with their engines, and i myself have a HT from powerkingshop (that i am not happy with) they are just a copy of a superior engine that was designed by real engineers.

Last edited:
Back