Predator 212 build - sprocket adapter slips and destroys spokes. Help!

Thanks for the replies everyone! Last night, I finally calculated the gearing ratios with the CVT and 36T sprocket I have now. It does work for me but I think I have the gearing ratio way to high. Here’s what I got:

I calculated these results assuming a 3:1 ratio from torque converter at the lowest ratio and 0.9:1 at the highest ratio. It seems @5-7HEAVEN was correct, I have the bike geared way too high. Thanks for pointing it out. I’m definitely not reaching 130 mph at full throttle 😂. I think I’ll switch to a 56T sprocket at the rear and maybe a 9T CVT drive sprocket to get more reasonable gearing ratios.

Last edited:
Be VERY careful pulling away from a stop.

Gearing will be 16.8;1, extremely low for your engine.

I'd suggest you search the forums and see what others use with their 212 engine.

I believe your light body weight will allow you to gear your bike a bit higher.

BTW, how tall are you?

That's a big bike!

That bike is just going to jump with a 56t sprocket on the back, so be very careful. I built a little mini-bike with that kind of motor and it's very hard to ride and keep the front wheel down and I only have a 44t on the rear.

Be VERY careful pulling away from a stop.

Gearing will be 16.8;1, extremely low for your engine.

I'd suggest you search the forums and see what others use with their 212 engine.

I believe your light body weight will allow you to gear your bike a bit higher.

BTW, how tall are you?

That's a big bike!
I searched the forums and looked at several pictures of Predator 212 builds and I still have no clue what a commonly used sprocket size with the CVT is. Information on Predator 212 builds is a bit scarce. I've seen people use a massive 72T rear sprocket to a all the way down to a 36T or even smaller. The bike is indeed very big (the model is a 1990s Schwinn High Plains) and I have to wear thick running shoes with the seat all the way down to barely touch the ground. I'm 5'9". However I needed that big frame to fit the 212cc engine. Riding it was tough at first but I got used to it quickly. There's no pedals since the motor has more than enough torque to take off from a dead stop. I know the lowest ratio will be 16.8:1 with a top speed of 24mph but the highest ratio will be 5:1 with a theoretical top speed of 81 mph. With my previous gearing, I think the engine never reached its maximum potential since the RPMs must have been kept very low by the high gearing ratio. I was basically in fixed gear until 38mph then the CVT would actually start working. If I switch to a 56T I will be careful not to give it full throttle from a dead stop or I'll get thrown off the back :ROFLMAO:

Lol, your bike is huge!

The 212 will like the 5.04 final drive.

When I planned my gearing, the use of 5.0:1 would've theoretically pushed the bike to 50mph @ 5,000rpm.

Perfect.

I was never excited about using Torq-Verters.

To me, it's like driving a 4-speed truck, using only first and fourth gear.

Last edited:
Back