Predator/Death Row 212cc Wrong Transmission (Help Needed)

CBibler

Local time
10:15 AM
I recently decided to do my first bike build and went with the predator 212cc. Bought most of the parts separately hoping it would work out but I was wrong. I bought a 212cc torque converter on eBay and realized the sprocket is on the wrong side (see photos) It seems like there are certain ones specifically sold with a different jackshaft where the front sprocket is on the other side like it would need to be for my chain to be lined up but everywhere I've looked its sold out. Anyone know of what to buy to modify mine so it will be able to be on the correct side or a different transmission that would work correctly? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Wrong Transmission I bought.png
    Wrong Transmission I bought.png
    366.4 KB · Views: 330
  • Correct Transmission Needed.png
    Correct Transmission Needed.png
    353.2 KB · Views: 325
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Hmmm, the pulleys on both pics are on the same side.
Where does the sprocket to the "wrong transmission" belong?
Methinks both transmissions should have the sprockets inboard.
Why does the "wrong transmission" not have a shaft for the sprocket?
Maybe the shaft is missing two snap rings and needs to be pushed inboard. Then you can hang the cog.
Or maybe the wrong shaft was installed in the "wrong transmission"(too short).
Did you try pushing the pulley inwards? If you do and the shaft is now long enough to install a sprocket, that's good.
Then all you do is remove the pulley, push the shaft inward, and install the 2 missing snap rings.
If the shaft is too short to push thru and hang the sprocket, you need to contact the seller.
He'll either authorize you to return it, or send you the shaft and snap rings to DIY.
Good luck.

JMO, do not buy anything until you mount the engine of your choice into your bicycle.
Sometimes the standard motor mount is too short, because your midframe's too long or too short.
Or if a vertical mount is your(only) choice.
Sometimes there are no rooms for torque convertors.
Sometimes builders choose the wrong reasons for torque convertors.
Good luck, brave one.

If I were to run engine power on the left side, I'd install my rear wheel and #35 sprocket(with 72teeth) first.
Then I'd run a length of chain from that sprocket towards the engine.
That'd show me the chain's vertical travels, and where the #35 sprocket needed to be.
Then I'd trial fit the engine on its mount.
Then I'd mount the Torque convertor and extend its inboard shaft (by mental calculation) to where the #35 sprocket would be placed.
If the TC won't fit in there, I'd return it.

There are several ways, and others may chime in.

It just dawned on me.
If the sprocket is on the wrong side, remove the outer snap ring, then remove the entire assembly. Remove the next snap ring and the sprocket on the shaft. Slide the pulley and shaft back into the housing. Install snap ring, then sprocket, then the outer snap ring.
That should do it.
When you're trial fitting the transmission and the sprocket does not line up with the rear wheel sprocket, it is a simple matter to replace the existing shaft with a longer one. You can either have grooves machined for snaprings or install locking collars.
Buy one that's too long.
When you're finally done and the inner jackshaft bearing is secured with a retainer, then cut the shaft to length. Secure its end with a snap ring or a locking collar.

Last edited:
Back