predator engine, easy way to remove governer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jatgm1

Local time
3:11 PM
Just figured out how to remove(/negate) the governer on a predator. Replace the spring that goes from the throttle to the governer arm with a thick paperclip. Works like a charm.

There is a governer built into the throttle. The throttle cable pulls on a spring, which pulls on the governer arm, which pulls on the carb valve. The governer arm, will push the carb valve closed at a high rpm because the spring attached to the throttle cable will stretch. If it's a paperclip, not a spring, you feel the governer trying to pull the throttle cable back, but it will stay open if you hold the throttle at full. I'll send a picture, and a video, but point being you don't have to disassemble the engine case and you will feel the governer kick in, in your thumb (thumb throttle) but it just means slightly higher resistance. It's negligible.

Here you go, figured I remembered seeing just that, http://motoredbikes.com/threads/79cc-predator-4-stroke-with-q-maitc-on-29-macargi-fatal-love.41967/

Thread by kc where the governor was ignored by just not using it. Scroll down a bit. I will say that this does not remove the plastic gear controlling the governor from the equation, meaning that it might be possible that the gear can't handle being pushed past the design speed of 3k rpm. As in it could break apart, maybe not likely, as kc hasn't said much of it, but nonetheless if it were to bust from too much speed it would definitely suck when it gets turned into shrapnel in the vicinity of other plastic gears... Who knows...

Here you go, figured I remembered seeing just that, http://motoredbikes.com/threads/79cc-predator-4-stroke-with-q-maitc-on-29-macargi-fatal-love.41967/

Thread by kc where the governor was ignored by just not using it. Scroll down a bit. I will say that this does not remove the plastic gear controlling the governor from the equation, meaning that it might be possible that the gear can't handle being pushed past the design speed of 3k rpm. As in it could break apart, maybe not likely, as kc hasn't said much of it, but nonetheless if it were to bust from too much speed it would definitely suck when it gets turned into shrapnel in the vicinity of other plastic gears... Who knows...
plastic gears in an engine sound kind of janky to me, but maybe I'm being an ignoramus here?

Having removed the governor of a HF79 I can say it is not that difficult. And there is more to it than a plastic gear.
The gear has a steel piece spring loaded to activate the governor. If the plastic gear grenades there will be more than plastic rattling around in the crankcase.

oh snap. well ill look into that while i wait for the sprockets i ordered. realized gas bike.net sent me a transmission giving it a 1 to 7 gear ratio. hardly moved..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back