Preferred Pre-Mix Ratio??

Ok, so I have a king's engine with about 3,500 miles on it, and I am currently running a 32:1 mixture with castrol 2t oil non-synthetic.

I want to switch to synthetic, but without compromising performance. While still protecting my engine. I'm afraid that 32:1 synthetic is too rich. What should I run it at?

32:1 should be fine! You could back it off to 35:1. Your bike probably won't notice.

In my experience I ran my engine 6 oz of castor to a gallon I don't know what that ratio is. I goofed a few times with my mixing and mixed by accident maybe only 3 oz non castor per gallon and payed for it when my bearing failed.
Now that she's rebuilt again castor to me is too expensive so now I use 8 oz to a gallon of the auto store stuff.
I don't care that I'm using too much. I know I am.
But those crank bearings are depending on your GAS to burn and the oily BURNT RESIDUE to get to them I've always thought this method of lubrication is rather barbaric even though this is the way small 2 strokes are.
If I remember right on Motocross bikes they at least have some kind of oil injection pump or something that gets that oil on them 2 stroke bearings on top of depending on the trickle down but the HT does not have this. In fact,it's basically the same as the small 2 strokes out there that are not pulling your 250 pounds of lady killer.
So as long as the gas is combusting and my exhaust is clear and I keep that shop rag under my bike at night to collect that burnt black oil it's overkill for me.
And I find it seems to be running a bit quieter even with my opened up exhaust.
Maybe it's time for another cleaning.

The article is a good read but it is from 1978 and no longer valid. There have been incredible advances in oil technology since then...in fact, there have been incredible advances in the past 5 years alone.

Me, I'm old fashioned. Its nothing but castor oil for me. Guess what, castor is stablized, degummed, and fortified to account for its past issue with oxidation. I have 2 bikes with 5 month old castor oil fuel mix in their tanks and they fire up just fine and I have yet to foul a plug. I run from a 32:1 mix in 2 of my bikes to a 50:1 mix in one of my test bikes. I personally prefer a richer oil mixture because it leans out my air/fuel ratio which helps at my high altitude where the engine mixture is already pig rich.

I just recieved my "80"cc kit from bikeberry yesterday, in the instructions supplied with the kit it says use 40:1 mix ratio, and gives no break-in procedures.

sounds silly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just recieved my "80"cc kit from bikeberry yesterday, in the instructions supplied with the kit it says use 40:1 mix ratio, and gives no break-in procedures.

a new engine running at 40:1
better yet -- no break in period

my ex wife bought a new Toyota MR2 years ago just before I met her
the dumb salesman told her to just run it hard -- no REAL break in needed
she said that she had taken it well above a 100 mph the first weekend out

MAN OH MAN -- FOR A CAR WITH ONLY 40 THOUSAND MILES

(((((((((( DID THAT THING BURN A LOT OF OIL ))))))))))

I don't know this exact engine you are talking about here
I don't know ther exact engine sellers by name or anyTHING
but -- for a new engine I think 40:1 mix is way more that a silly THING

ride that thing

a new engine running at 40:1
better yet -- no break in period

my ex wife bought a new Toyota MR2 years ago just before I met her
the dumb salesman told her to just run it hard -- no REAL break in needed
she said that she had taken it well above a 100 mph the first weekend out

MAN OH MAN -- FOR A CAR WITH ONLY 40 THOUSAND MILES

(((((((((( DID THAT THING BURN A LOT OF OIL ))))))))))

I don't know this exact engine you are talking about here
I don't know ther exact engine sellers by name or anyTHING
but -- for a new engine I think 40:1 mix is way more that a silly THING

ride that thing

I agree, no way i will break in at 40:1

I was just stating what the manual read.

I think I ran probably one tank at 16:1, the motor just would not perform at that ratio, I changed to 25:1 and it made the world of difference, I reckon 30:1 or 40:1 would be even better, I'll let you know when I have tried it, but you do get freak motors, mine is stock standard and really flies compared to my brothers and nephews.

I know two guys who didn't do the break-in thoroughly, varying those speeds, and now they can't hardly top out at 20 mph.

Those who do go through that procedure, seem to always improve on mpg and torque, just a notch at a time.

One handy way to do it is look ahead to a large tree, hold it at some speed until you reach it, then spot a mailbox, throttle down or up, whatever. That way it is 15 seconds, then maybe 25, etc.

Just keep picking out landmarks, and the time passes swiftly as you leapfrog down the road.

Been using this oil in my Vespa p200e since total rebuild 600 miles ago without any problems.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/tdr.aspx

At 50/1 mix.

Runs like a charm.:D:D

Had a soft seize at 50mph on highway before the rebuild.Rear tire locked up solid.Almost got run over by the truck that was following me.:sick::sick:

Was using regular two stroke oil in it then.:whistle::whistle:

Back