Preparing a new build on a Schwinn Stingray Chopper and I'm looking for some advice

dmopedMA

Local time
11:42 PM
Hello everyone,

First of all: THANK YOU ALL! This forum has being my main source of information since I introduced myself to the world of motorized bikes.

For the (almost past) summer I've being working on my first build, with a savage motor I found on the street and Schwinn bike, I put a banana seat on it and it looks nice and runs good, 32mph is my top speed:

IMG_20170528_094137.jpg

For my birthday my wife gave me material for a new build, a cool Schwinn Stingray Chopper!

IMG_20170923_172239.jpg

On the look side, I'm ordering a Hi-Rise handlebar (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C17QUE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1), I'm a tall and big guy, so I need some clearance for my knees, a part of that I like how it looks, so, I'll try to stick to its original look as much as I can.

Now is time to think about the engine, first idea was using the one from the first build, since I repaired and worked many many hours on it, I don't want just to get rid of it... but it is a cheap chinese motor and I'm not 100% happy with it, it vibrates as hell.
I'm not in love with the idea of pedaling the copper, it is so low that is inconvenient to pedal, so I was thinking about a 4 stroke or a 2 stroke with pullstart and centrifugal clutch, BTW I live in MA, so it has to be a 49cc (50cc or less) to make it street legal.

Questions:
- Will be possible to install a 4 stroke engine on this bike without having to modify the frame?

- I have no experience with 4 stroke engines, so which 49cc one will you recommend? I'm tired of being repairing my chinese one, so I'm looking for a quality one for this build.

- Is a good idea to get a 2 stroke with centrifugal clutch and pull start or 2 stroke is not meant for that?

Attachments

• IMG_20170528_094149.jpg
    IMG_20170528_094149.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 585
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Meh..to me ive always thought the stingrays should be 4 stroke powered..odd seeing a chopper with a 2 stroke dirt bike sound.

I can say much on what it takes to mount a 4 stroke...im sure there is some sort of plate you need to do that though.

If you do go 2 stroke get something more modern as vibration issues are getting better with higher quality standards on motors built today.

I would go with a newer grubee motor or the Zeda 80 motors...both are of higher quality standards and affordable.

Someone im sure will chime in with more info..good luck with the build.

Ok, so i missed the 49cc part for legality...a 49cc 4 stroke would be my choice.

@6blueoval9 Thanks for your tips.

I see that some webs are selling the "HuaSheng 49cc with 5/8" Straight Shaft Engine (4-Stroke)" Anyone recommending it?

Then I see that different kits come with different transmissions, belt or chain, recommendations on that?

Hello everyone,

First of all: THANK YOU ALL! This forum has being my main source of information since I introduced myself to the world of motorized bikes.

For the (almost past) summer I've being working on my first build, with a savage motor I found on the street and Schwinn bike, I put a banana seat on it and it looks nice and runs good, 32mph is my top speed:

View attachment 79144

For my birthday my wife gave me material for a new build, a cool Schwinn Stingray Chopper!

View attachment 79146

On the look side, I'm ordering a Hi-Rise handlebar (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C17QUE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1), I'm a tall and big guy, so I need some clearance for my knees, a part of that I like how it looks, so, I'll try to stick to its original look as much as I can.

Now is time to think about the engine, first idea was using the one from the first build, since I repaired and worked many many hours on it, I don't want just to get rid of it... but it is a cheap chinese motor and I'm not 100% happy with it, it vibrates as hell.
I'm not in love with the idea of pedaling the copper, it is so low that is inconvenient to pedal, so I was thinking about a 4 stroke or a 2 stroke with pullstart and centrifugal clutch, BTW I live in MA, so it has to be a 49cc (50cc or less) to make it street legal.

Questions:
- Will be possible to install a 4 stroke engine on this bike without having to modify the frame?

- I have no experience with 4 stroke engines, so which 49cc one will you recommend? I'm tired of being repairing my chinese one, so I'm looking for a quality one for this build.

- Is a good idea to get a 2 stroke with centrifugal clutch and pull start or 2 stroke is not meant for that?

I am going to be a buzzkill: don't do it!

1. The engine will not center in the frame; it must be moved left either by buying a prefabbed cradle or making your own custom motormounts.

2. It looks like you have front V-brakes and you can go with those. But if not, it makes the front fork pretty much worthless. The geometry of the front fork is strange - it should be more stable.

3. The rear stays are weak and subject to breaking. They really should be beefed up before continuing a build.

4. It's impossible to find tires for the rear wheel except thru internet vendors so you lack options.

5. The rear hub itself is strong but the axle is subject to breakage. The motor chain in the rear will conflict with the strangely mounted V-brake.

6. The seat looks cool but it's horrible in terms of motorized riding. You'll want a spring seat.

I made it work for months but after a while the bike frame just couldn't take the stresses.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I am going to be a buzzkill: don't do it!

1. The engine will not center in the frame; it must be moved left either by buying a prefabbed cradle or making your own custom motormounts.

2. It looks like you have front V-brakes and you can go with those. But if not, it makes the front fork pretty much worthless. The geometry of the front fork is strange - it should be more stable.

3. The rear stays are weak and subject to breaking. They really should be beefed up before continuing a build.

4. It's impossible to find tires for the rear wheel except thru internet vendors so you lack options.

5. The rear hub itself is strong but the axle is subject to breakage. The motor chain in the rear will conflict with the strangely mounted V-brake.

6. The seat looks cool but it's horrible in terms of motorized riding. You'll want a spring seat.

I made it work for months but after a while the bike frame just couldn't take the stresses.

Thank you for your feedback. You are just making me more in to this project, the more chalengy the better! I Know there are many difficulties on this project but I believe the juice is worth the squeeze!

Great attitude! I just don't want anyone to waste time building up a dependable motorbike with some style. And I don't want anyone to get hurt either!

I am currently deconstructing my OCC Chopper Bike to exchange parts onto a very challenging build.

I hope to resurrect the OCC Chopper Bike but, this go around, I'll chop off the rear end altogether and weld in a much stronger rear triangle, maybe stretch it a few inches.

I'll also chuck the front fork and go with a triple tree suspension set up.

I'm very curious to see what you do. Keep us updated and put up a few pics!

Thanks and good luck!

Great attitude! I just don't want anyone to waste time building up a dependable motorbike with some style. And I don't want anyone to get hurt either!

I am currently deconstructing my OCC Chopper Bike to exchange parts onto a very challenging build.

I hope to resurrect the OCC Chopper Bike but, this go around, I'll chop off the rear end altogether and weld in a much stronger rear triangle, maybe stretch it a few inches.

Thanks and good luck!
Thanks! Sure I'll keep posting.

Tomorrow I'll move my questions to the 4 stroke part of the forum.

Thanks and good luck!
BTW, did you use 2 or 4 stroke engine?

Back