Primary reduction and clutch question

MotorBikeFab

Local time
6:14 AM
I am looking for a primary drive reduction for the 79cc Predator.
I am finding some that have a plate that bolts to the engine around the 5/8" output shaft but do not know which ones are more reliable.

Is the Max-Torque clutch the one to get? I am seeing several others, some that are tuneable.

Looking for purchasing advice for the primary drive and clutch.
And sorry if this has already been posted...if so please point me to that thread.

Thanks so much.

Forgive me for being a bit irked.
I ask for help and nothing comes my way. No problem with this - I guess there is no interest in the topic these days.

Now, I am asked to post info I might be getting from some magical place...

I am generally giving of information when I get it, and have built a number of motorbikes with interesting drive systems and always try to contribute to a conversation if I have something to contribute. But this is new to me and thus the reason I ask for help. Most of the info in this thread is years old and I was hoping there might be something new to share.

When the info is generally old and the topic relevant (or not perhaps), it's great for knowledgeable individuals to share their current experience. For instance, the kind of primary reduction I am seeking, I understand fails for a 212cc build but is great for the 79cc builds. But which ones from which vendors?...Now that is the question.

All is well. Making motorbikes is a great hobby and generally promotes bicycle use, which I think is a very good thing.
If anyone chooses to contribute here, that is also a good thing. If not, no problem.

Attachments

• 79cc_1623.jpg
    79cc_1623.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 237
  • 79cc_1626.jpg
    79cc_1626.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 228
  • 79cc_1632.jpg
    79cc_1632.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 225
How big (tooth count) is your sproket? You may not need reduction with that big gear.Stanton Inc. has everything you would need to make your own jack shaft for reduction and any tooth count of gears needed to achive the desired ratio.The clutches offered by many of the venders are not of good quality and the torque converters rob to much power from the 79cc to be worth the money IMO,The clutches used by kart engines are much better!Or if expence is not an issue then look at the 3D manual clutch it's the best one out there for higher output engines and retains that true motorcycle feel!

How big (tooth count) is your sproket? You may not need reduction with that big gear.Stanton Inc. has everything you would need to make your own jack shaft for reduction and any tooth count of gears needed to achive the desired ratio.The clutches offered by many of the venders are not of good quality and the torque converters rob to much power from the 79cc to be worth the money IMO,The clutches used by kart engines are much better!Or if expence is not an issue then look at the 3D manual clutch it's the best one out there for higher output engines and retains that true motorcycle feel!

Thanks!

What do you think about the max torque clutches? I am seeing them on the go kart sites.

That 60t sprocket is for 1/8" bicycle chain and I have some heavy duty 1/2" by 1/8" BMX chain. Do you think it will hold up for the secondary reduction?

Thanks!

What do you think about the max torque clutches? I am seeing them on the go kart sites.

That 60t sprocket is for 1/8" bicycle chain and I have some heavy duty 1/2" by 1/8" BMX chain. Do you think it will hold up for the secondary reduction?
It should be ok you might have to change the gear on jackshaft since it's for the 415 chain though it may fit I've not tried it,there are alot of folks using the 410 chain on shift kits and even for fixed gear setups with the 2 stroke but the 79cc 4 stroke has 3 ft pounds of torque right off the hop so it's hard to say!

Back