Priming Empty Carb Bowl

Yes I am now, bought it yesterday and mixed to 32/1. The local Moto has Ethanol Free.
Now the guy I bought it from said he used "premix" (didn't know the oil ratio), but he said alot that
was likely BS so I am not ruling out that possibly the carb is gummed up somewhere. Thanks John
The guy you purchase the bike from is either ignorant of the effects of ethanol on small engine carbs or didn't want you to know he cheaped out on the gas and now the carb needs a complete cleaning and/or rebuilding.

The guy you purchase the bike from is either ignorant of the effects of ethanol on small engine carbs or didn't want you to know he cheaped out on the gas and now the carb needs a complete cleaning and/or rebuilding.
Or replacing the carby...For the little that costs when I posted here earlier, along with a link to replacement carburetor, That would be the option I would choose...Make sure you get a new intake gasket as well when you get a carby if thats the route you choose to go.

Or replacing the carby...For the little that costs when I posted here earlier, along with a link to replacement carburetor, That would be the option I would choose...Make sure you get a new intake gasket as well when you get a carby if thats the route you choose to go.
Yes, if cleaning is the only thing you have to do, this is the cheapest route. If you have to replace anything then it's cheaper to buy a new carb.

I have no problem ordering a new carb, but I bought this knowing I woud need to work on the bike to some extent and would just as soon
take a shot at trying to get it running. I may have just not given it enough time the get the fresh gas down into the carb.

It may well need more than a carb before this bike is sorted out--but the actual bike is in near perfect shape and the installation overall looks solid
---except the notched back fender by the chain which is Seriously Dangerous and has to go. Thanks John

I have no problem ordering a new carb, but I bought this knowing I woud need to work on the bike to some extent and would just as soon
take a shot at trying to get it running. I may have just not given it time the get the fresh gas down into the carb.

It may well need more than a carb before this bike is sorted out--but the actual bike is in near perfect shape and the installation overall looks solid
---except the notched back fender which is Seriously Dangerous and has to go. Thanks John
If you have to replace the fuel lines use the yellow ones.

I may have just not given it enough time the get the fresh gas down into the carb.
f you have to replace the fuel lines use the yellow ones.
Or even the red ones like I have...lol...I'm colour co-ordinated...lol.

The size of the gas line is 3/16ths ID, 5/16ths OD...I get mine from the local small engine repair shop here.

If you really want to try and save the carb then the best thing you can do is disassemble it and soak it in berrymans for a few hours. Then, more importantly, blow compressed air through the passages in multiple directions. I also like to polish the float needle seat with a q-tip on a drill and a dab of brasso, but that isn't strictly necessary unless there was corrosion

Thanks to everyone for the carb info and advice! Tried to run the fuel in with the bottom drain open but bowl was still dry as a bone.
So I tore the carb apart, and the connection to the fuel line--(L shaped brass piece) was totally plugged with something.
Hit it all with carb cleaner and stuck a pin through the jet (which is still stuck) and got gas to flow into the bowl finally.
The bike now fires up right away as long as the choke is OFF. Idle seemed poor, but I started it and ran it 3 times so at least the motor is not locked up and the clutch is grabbing. Sounded like a chainsaw after it got going but it also chugged some like a lawn mower.
I'm gonna have to park it for now until I can deal with a flopping rear lower fender which is hitting the
chain. I also discovered the rear cantilever brake is almost nonexistent (the front brake is not hooked up). Thinking about a dual pull brake lever.
I'm still going to order another carb and a bunch of various gaskets to have around.
Do you recommend the same carburetor or getting something else in the approximate $25.00 range? I am not planning to do any modifications on this bike except maybe to the muffler and don't plan to go over 30 mph or so.
Thanks again for all the help! John

Thanks to everyone for the carb info and advice! Tried to run the fuel in with the bottom drain open but bowl was still dry as a bone.
So I tore the carb apart, and the connection to the fuel line--(L shaped brass piece) was totally plugged with something.
Hit it all with carb cleaner and stuck a pin through the jet (which is still stuck) and got gas to flow into the bowl finally.
The bike now fires up right away as long as the choke is OFF. Idle seemed poor, but I started it and ran it 3 times so at least the motor is not locked up and the clutch is grabbing. Sounded like a chainsaw after it got going but it also chugged some like a lawn mower.
I'm gonna have to park it for now until I can deal with a flopping rear lower fender which is hitting the
chain. I also discovered the rear cantilever brake is almost nonexistent (the front brake is not hooked up). Thinking about a dual pull brake lever.
I'm still going to order another carb and a bunch of various gaskets to have around.
Do you recommend the same carburetor or getting something else in the approximate $25.00 range? I am not planning to do any modifications on this bike except maybe to the muffler and don't plan to go over 30 mph or so.
Thanks again for all the help! John
Wow, for all the work you're going to have to do to this bike you could've built one cheaper.

Back