Priming Empty Carb Bowl

With some carbs ears can be ok but with carbs with adjusting screws as little as a millimeter turn can be the difference between a good performance and a great performance. Sort of like setting timing by ear instead of by a light.
I made a believer out of my landlord...He has a 1984 dodge pickup truck he uses for his properties...He had a garage work on it and as he put it, they took a few hours and tuneing it up and finaly got to carb adj. and timing where they used their timing lights, tachs, gauges, etc.

You guessed it, it ran like crap...lol...So I said I would be right over.

I had a wrench to loosen the distributor hold down bolt and a screwdriver for adjusting the carby...15 minutes later it ran smooth as silk for him...lol.
You can't really do this with the computer controlled vehicles these days but with old vehicles?...Hell yeah...lol.

I made a believer out of my landlord...He has a 1984 dodge pickup truck he uses for his properties...He had a garage work on it and as he put it, they took a few hours and tuneing it up and finaly got to carb adj. and timing where they used their timing lights, tachs, gauges, etc.

You guessed it, it ran like crap...lol...So I said I would be right over.

I had a wrench to loosen the distributor hold down bolt and a screwdriver for adjusting the carby...15 minutes later it ran smooth as silk for him...lol.
You can't really do this with the computer controlled vehicles these days but with old vehicles?...Hell yeah...lol.
What I've found over the years is the best of ears can be dead on it or very very very close. With the light for timing or tach on crabs, you know, that you know, that you know.

Timing close, the mark can be a little to the left or the right of the center in the light circle. Perfect is dead center. A little like a bubble on a level.

Carbs with adjusting screws, many can get really close with the high adjustment screw full throttle max rpm. The really tricky part is when you hit max rpm on the low adjustment screw no throttle; then do the rich drop. I keep the rich drop around -100 rpm of no throttle max.

Granted, I'm completely saying this for purpose of maximum performance.

Back