priming the carb

crabdance

Local time
8:06 AM
Is there a rule of thumb about how many times to press the prime button on the carb on a cold engine? I pushed it in about 7 times and had a "little" bit of a hard time starting it but it was my first time too. I wasn't giving it much gas on the throttle and once I did that it started.

thanks,
cd

i never prime, try kick start it or pull start it whatever u got, Wack it on choke, kickstart it twice then put it on open or RUN and kickstart it again, it should start 3rd time if u do this. If not then kickstart it again on RUN. Then pump the throttle for about 1 min, then stop it and then actually ride. On a Cold night ( dont ride in morning coz of school ) when its about 10 degrees i do this then the motor is nice and hot and then when u actually start it it will kick over easily, i got no clutch so i cant kick start it then put my bike on the ground, i kick it get it all nice and hot then roll start it.

Hope that helps a lil, the choke sorta works as a primer but i find it works better.

For the rest of this day I have been riding and not priming at all. Everything works just as good and it starts just fine. I guess I was expecting it to run like my lawn mower. It will not run at all unless you press the little red bulb 7 times and pull the cord twice (when it's cold).

Thanks for all the help guys... I'm new at this and just learning, so I appreciate it.

cd

Back