problem after problem!!!! plz help

Tacklebox

Local time
4:09 AM
Ok so I bought a chinese motor from ebay... I finally got this thing running after about a week.. clutch needed adjusted, throttle needed adjusted... directions were ****... i've been riding it for about three days and its been running fine until today. I was on my way to work when all of the sudden it stalled, I'm still in the break in period so I figured something needed adjusted. It would not fire up and I was forced to pedal home which was **** 3 miles on that thing. I got home and went through the motions, gas, spark, etc. Come to find out the spark plug had no gap... first question... What would cause this? So it started up and would idle but when i hit the gas it jerks but wont go then it will stall. Ive tried adjusting so if you tell me something needs adjusted please be very specific as I am a very mechanically inclined noobie...

Did you re-gap the plug, and did the gap stay opened? There might not be enough clearance between the piston and plug. If you haven't change to a NGK plug. You might need to ADD another head gasket for extra clearance.

Idle and jerks? Sounds like fuel adjustment is needed. You mentioned you adjusted the throttle....what did you do?

Last edited:
These engines really aren't good for someone not mechanically inclined. There are lots of little things that can and will go wrong but that's why they are so cheap. There are also problems with the design in general but they can be easily and cheaply repaired which is why they remain popular - but only if you know how to work on stuff like this and how to diagnose problems.

The gap being closed on a spark-plug is a real bad sign, that typically means the piston hit the plug. If it keeps happening over and over again, it's definitely getting hit by the piston. Any number of things could be wrong with the engine.

Actually I feel that these engines with some the problems they inherently have, are great to learn with. First they are cheap, they are light and easily handled. The Chinese Ht engines are by far the easiest engines to work on bar none. I would recommend these engines if for nothing else as a learning experience. The major problem is that most noobs think that you can just strap these engines to a bike and ride off into the sunset. Also most noobs don't have the proper tools or knowledge on how they are used. Actually there isn't all that can go wrong with them that can't be fixed. You have to start somewhere, and this is the best engines to start with. The majority of tools needed to work on these engines are some that I feel that everyone should own. The problem is that they have sat in front of a came console or computer and really haven't cared about much else, and it's getting worse as time flies by. That is one reason the US has lost so many jobs that are out sourced...they won't work with their hands. It's not really their fault, they haven't had the proper guidance. My son fell into that category (was raised by ex). but with guidance learned quickly.

Last edited:
wouldn't let me reply to post so reposting... help

Alright I bought a champion l86c spark plug because the one that came with my chinese engine was ****... the gap hadn't actually closed but the plug was falling apart... when I was riding down the road the bike died, I got it home and fixed the plug and it started and idled but wouldn't drive, just alot of jerking... My new problem is the plug boot won't fit the new plug lol... when i first built the bike I had a problem with the clutch disengaging... Then the throttle needed adjusted just by twisting the piece going into the carb... Not being sure that was the problem, before I fixed it, I checked for spark and had absolutely none. But the bike still fired and rode no problems after adjustment. I think it started running badly due to the plug as I had no problems before the bike suddenly died... I'm hoping I am right here because it ran great for a couple days... My new question is should I replace the whole CDI or just the boot plug? which one is easier, better, cheaper? But if you feel I will deal with more CDI problems down the road, I will just replace... Im very mechanically inclined so I'll figure it out one way or another but would appreciate the help... and where is the best place to get these parts lol and what do I need to ask for or search for online? Thanks for any help:cry::eek:

What if

Will a 66cc cdi work on my 49cc? I noticed it has an upgraded plug wire and I can get the setup for 10 bucks... My current plug wire does not unscrew

@ Al

i agree with you if i didnt get a good kick in the bum when i did i would never have done my apprenticeship in diesel mech and started a beutiful family or even have a roof over my head. ive now been qualified for 6 yrs and i love it.

as for these engines theyre great, me and the boys at work pull the other one i got down and rebuild it all the time when we get bored, if it doesent run afterwards the guy who built it has to but us a six pack of beer. (im down 4 sixpacks so far:cry:)

Last edited:
Back