problem starting

cajunmike

Local time
3:54 PM
Hey, I just installed my first kit and I had problems with the clutch setup I found the clutch plate slipping, tighted up and clutch engaged. When I tried to start it, it would turn over as long as I kept peddling but would die when I stopped and would die if I opened the clutch. What am I doing wrong? Any info would be helpful. Also so it kind of bogged down when I gave it throttle.

Let's see....'open the clutch". That must mean letting out the clutch handle? In other words, engaging the drive? I guess I gotta figure that that's working okay.

So is the problem that you're pedalling up to speed and letting out the clutch handle only to find that the engine is not starting?

If that's the case, then the first thing that I'd check is the electrical connections. If they turn out okay, then I'd doublecheck that fuel is actually reaching the carb. But I'd put my money on a loose electrical.

What position did you have the choke lever in? (Down is off, up is on)
Try it full or almost full on to start.
Also, as bluegoatwoods said, check that the electrics are OK. Best quick way is to remove the spark plug then refit it into the plug cap, lay it on the head so that the plug body is earthed, then turn the engine over by lifting the rear wheel and turning it forwards as fast as possible. You should get a bluish spark at the spark plug if the electrics are OK.
... Steve

Back