Problem with tube

Bigdave86

Local time
9:39 AM
I received this few days ago and i just inspected today and found this slight dent is there a way to resolve this without returning it is tjere a way fix it

Attachments

• 20190812_192856.jpg
    20190812_192856.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 289
I received this few days ago and i just inspected today and found this slight dent is there a way to resolve this without returning it is tjere a way fix it

May be able’da use yer headset cups t’ draw it out. Check the starting bevels, and see if there’s a good ‘nough mate to draw ‘em in with a long bolt and washers, or AllThread.

If that's aluminium, then no, absolutely not.
If it's high tensile steel then yeah maybe an extremely strong and thick bearing cup like an FSA The Pig could do it, with a decent threaded headset press, but I wouldn't want to try if it can be returned.

I would imagine if you can't return it I would try a muffler shop. They should have exhaust pipe flaring tools that if used very slowly may just take out the flat spot. You might want to put some kind of metal banding strap or even a smaller piece of tubing with a cut in it for expansion between the expansion device and the head tube.AUTO Exhaust Tail Pipe Expander Flare Flaring Stretcher Wrench Tool | eBay

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I would imagine if you can't return it I would try a muffler shop. They should have exhaust pipe flaring tools that if used very slowly may just take out the flat spot. You might want to put some kind of metal banding strap or even a smaller piece of tubing with a cut in it for expansion between the expansion device and the head tube.AUTO Exhaust Tail Pipe Expander Flare Flaring Stretcher Wrench Tool | eBay
this thing look promising can it be expand without over stretching the original diameter

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
i think
May be able’da use yer headset cups t’ draw it out. Check the starting bevels, and see if there’s a good ‘nough mate to draw ‘em in with a long bolt and washers, or AllThread.
this is 1-1/8 threadless AL i think if i can put the upper headtube race (headset) in ,then everything else is good since everything else sit in the drawcup if im correct

Attachments

• Qe4W0nd.jpg
    Qe4W0nd.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
i think

this is 1-1/8 threadless AL i think if i can put the drawcup (headset) in ,then everything else is good since everything else sit in the drawcup if im correct

Pretty much as Gary and FOTI have pointed out, if it’s not practical to return/exchange, there are safe options to expand (swage) that out. If your cups are steel (like the better FSAs), and that head is aluminum, you may be lucky enough to set them (be VERY patient, and be sure they fully seat without going eccentric). The expanding and swaging tools are great for aluminum and thin-walled steel tubing, but that ding looks sooo close to being able to press-start a steel cup with a solid beveled edge — a threadless headset expanding nut (not star) might even give you some relief, as well as still serving its original purpose. Again.., if return/exchange isn’t practical, be patient with whatever option you choose.

this thing look promising can it be expand without over stretching the original diameter
That is a very good question. I have never tried it, but I think I could figure a way to make sure the flat spot was getting the greater force ie metal banding or split tubing. Something else that might work as well if not better is if you have a old steel 1 1/8" cup you could put a nice bevel on the bottom of it and take it to a good local bike shop. They should have 1 of these and I'll bet you could swage it out by using it to press the cup in. The flat spot is going to be the weak spot and should move before the rest. Plus since the cup is the right size nothing else should get stretched.
View media item 62033

Last edited:
Pretty much as Gary and FOTI have pointed out, if it’s not practical to return/exchange, there are safe options to expand (swage) that out. If your cups are steel (like the better FSAs), and that head is aluminum, you may be lucky enough to set them (be VERY patient, and be sure they fully seat without going eccentric). The expanding and swaging tools are great for aluminum and thin-walled steel tubing, but that ding looks sooo close to being able to press-start a steel cup with a solid beveled edge — a threadless headset expanding nut (not star) might even give you some relief, as well as still serving its original purpose. Again.., if return/exchange isn’t practical, be patient with whatever option you choose.
I'm so stoked this saved a lot of stress for me I took it to lathe mechanic right next door where i work and everything is good now!

Attachments

• 20190813_105018.jpg
    20190813_105018.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 260
Back