Project 29er: Scooterguy Mount With GP460 Or Tanaka 47R Engine

Project 29er Kona frame, NuVinci hub and Velocity rims are at Eki's, my local bike shop. They'll be building the wheelset with 13g SS spokes, which should be sufficient. Minor stuff like seatpost, pedals, extra-wide BB cartridge, throttle/brakes/NV cables need fabricating.

I can do that.:devilish:

I bought a 2009 18' Diamondback 29" aluminum frame, seat post and seat for $80. I'll use this as a spare or for mockup. The bike shop has the wheels and hubs to build.

Jay at the bike shop called, said the NuVinci hub mounted onto the 29" rim with no problems. Still waiting on the front wheel to be assembled.

Methinks I'll be utilizing my Tanaka 47R engine on Project 29er. It has less power than a GP460, but is far more dependable. This Tanaka is VERY loud, but the Happy Time SBP expansion pipe should quiet it down to acceptable sound levels. The HT exhaust flange is a gross mismatch for the Tanaka's larger port. However, if this 47R engine proves itself, I'll fab a larger exhaust flange and headpipe for more power. A Tanaka pipe would produce more power, but still be too loud for my liking.

The Tanaka has a voracious apetite. However, a Happy Time 4-liter fuel tank will be more than adequate to feed it.

Back