Project Brake Lamp

FrizzleFried

Local time
5:34 AM
OK... so I am now in the planning stages of putting together a brake lamp for the bike. While it would be easy enough to attach a microswitch to the lever, I'm looking for something a little more "sano"... I don't want wires running back and forth from the bars. I figured I'd buy one of these:

... and use it in conjunction with a magnet from a "speedometer" kit (thats designed to hold on to a spoke). I have one handy... I figure I'll attach it to the exposed brake line down at the back caliper. I'll mount the sensor in such a way that when I pull the brake... it'll break (or create) the magnetic connection and then light the lamp.

As for the lamp... I figured I would pick up a trailer brake lamp. Maybe something like this:

As for power... I figure the cheapest option would be to drop by the local Family Dollar stores and try to find a 12v "home" drill... or at worst pick up this bad boy...

That said... I have an old Black and Decker drill that I still have the charger for... it may behoove me to check it out... I THINK it was a 12v model... if so, I could just get a replacement battery as I already have the charger.

If the reed switch ends up not working right... I figure I could do the same by mounting a microswitch w/leaf that would be activated by something mounted to that same stretch of bare wire down back by the caliper...or perhaps even the caliper lever itself.

All in all this is going to be a very simple project, really... it's just determining the logistics and cheapest priced route.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
OK... so I am now in the planning stages of putting together a brake lamp for the bike. While it would be easy enough to attach a microswitch to the lever, I'm looking for something a little more "sano"... I don't want wires running back and forth from the bars. I figured I'd buy one of these:

... and use it in conjunction with a magnet from a "speedometer" kit (thats designed to hold on to a spoke). I have one handy... I figure I'll attach it to the exposed brake line down at the back caliper. I'll mount the sensor in such a way that when I pull the brake... it'll break (or create) the magnetic connection and then light the lamp.

As for the lamp... I figured I would pick up a trailer brake lamp. Maybe something like this:

As for power... I figure the cheapest option would be to drop by the local Family Dollar stores and try to find a 12v "home" drill... or at worst pick up this bad boy...

That said... I have an old Black and Decker drill that I still have the charger for... it may behoove me to check it out... I THINK it was a 12v model... if so, I could just get a replacement battery as I already have the charger.

If the reed switch ends up not working right... I figure I could do the same by mounting a microswitch w/leaf that would be activated by something mounted to that same stretch of bare wire down back by the caliper...or perhaps even the caliper lever itself.

All in all this is going to be a very simple project, really... it's just determining the logistics and cheapest priced route.
Many brake levers have light switch built in.. mine is a dual leaver.. then any light any any power source cane be “switched “ on

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
You are saying you have a dual-lever with a switch built in? Source?

Also... I really was wanting to avoid the back/forth wiring to such a switch...

You are saying you have a dual-lever with a switch built in? Source?

Also... I really was wanting to avoid the back/forth wiring to such a switch...
Two wires from the leaver to the back (battery and light)... switch shorts the two wires... on and off.

1668167530077.png

Well never mind... I found one...

Due to the simplicity... maybe running the wires is the way to go...
If you are still thinking about simplicity and a clean install you might want to Google "smart automatic bicycle brake light", I have one of the sub-$7 ones sold by Temu and it works well so far as I can tell, reasonably bright, solid construction and attachment to the strap mount, the strap mount is good for most places I put frog type lights and it has built in USB charging too. Might be a low cost/effort thing to check out anyway.

Back