Project: OVERKILL

Well, I figured out that I need to make longer mount brackets and bring the engine back about twenty or thirty degrees. This will allow the chain to clear the frame when the smaller gear is engaged. Man, I thought a chain tensioner would be easy to put together, but not a chance with this bike. Between the gearbox, the tire, frame, etc ... there are a bunch of variables to consider getting things to work right. It's gonna look a little weird, but hey, it is a recumbent bike with an engine and a two-gallon gas can attached to it anyway.

you gota love the recumbents they give you a whole new set of issues the 26in'rs have no idea about..

Last week on craigs list there was a 07 ez-sport going for $500, i almost jumped in the van to rush over, then when the garage door opened i seen my own collection of half finished projects, counted to 10 and walked back in the house, maybe next year....

Okay. I am pretty sure I got it now. I had to lengthen my equivalent to the U bracket that normally comes with the staton kit. I had to do this because the "standard" configuration with the top brackets only being about 6 inches too long resulted in the chain wanting to rub against the frame when the 12 tooth gear is engaged. I replaced that with some longer flat metal stock of about 15 inches or so. Now, with this configuration, the eyebolts were no longer optimally configured. I was able to pull the rear ones right out by pulling up on the back of the gearbox. Not good. So now, after going through about ten feet of 1/4 by 1 inch flat metal stock, I have finally come up with a decent mounting arrangement. Hopefully, I will start the engine up for the first time since June today.

I do have a question. Is the gas I have in my tank going to be any good? Should I dispose of it and start anew? The engine only has about 25 miles on it so some breakin is still required. Any suggestions on what to do here? I have a bunch of amsoil sabre 100 I plan on mixing one 3.2oz bottle for every 2 gallons of fuel, as suggested by kawasaki999 ... but this is once the engine is broken in. Should give me about 80:1 ratio or so. I was figuring I would use up the last of the oil I had for my old GEBE setup (ryobi something or other 50:1) and mixing it a little rich before moving over to this amsoil stuff.

I know what kawasaki999 is doing but DDM recommends 25/1. I'm using Red Line Full Synthetic Racing Oil and I'm sticking to 32/1, just old fashioned I guess but better enough then too little. The 460 breaks in by heat cycling the engine, not just mileage.

I'm reconfiguring my chain drive and have a few tips you might use.

I use allthread for convenience. I also use six nuts and lockwashers and no space washers to lock the gearbox onto each shaft. It also makes it easier to align the gearbox and remove/reinstall/adjust support shafts.

If I could find a grade-8 bolt with threads end-to-end, I'd cut the head off and use that. I haven't bent the allthread yet.

My gearbox sits 2.25" over the tire, but very close to the seat. I can always lower it by dropping the supports to the next hole or cutting them.

You can drill all holes in the plates and dropout to accept grade-8 bolts with nuts and lockwashers. For overkill, add a nylox nut.

For loose support rods, dimple at least one inch of the ends, then drill and tap to accept the special mounting bolts.

Hope this helps.

additionaly, the oil you have and the mixed gas are both no good and should not be used.

castor, if there's any in your oil goes bad, even in a closed container after a while and seperates from solution in mixed gas.

do yourself a favor, get new, and do 15 min. heat cycles for break in. run it 15 , cool it 15, run it 15, cool it 15. remember not to exceed 1/2 throttle.

steve

heat cycling huh?

I saw you guys talking about that stuff before. So how many times would you suggest I heat cycle it? When attached to the GEBE, I rode about 20 minutes to my parent's place, then about 10 minutes to a friends, and then 20 minutes back home. Each stint had a good half an hour to an hour cooldown time between. How many cycles are suggested?

Here are some pictures (finally) showing my build so far. I have everything done except for the gas tank, which will go between the seatback and the engine. Every bolt possible is tightened on with the strongest threadlocker from the hardware store. I thought about securing the eyebolts into the rods by drilling through them similar to how kerf's build seems to be set up. The more I thought about it though, I wanted to mount the thing right on the axle. Makes things more difficult when removing the wheel, but mounting this beast with quarter inch bolts into an aluminum frame just seemed like asking for trouble. Hopefully, I should be able to shift the gears by hand (and getting off of the bike) easily enough once things are finished. If it is an easy enough procedure, I will probably forgo the whole shifter assembly. Just gotta make sure I don't let my hand get chewed up in the sprocket.

Pics:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
chainline: this is what it looks like now with the little gear engaged. Tight clearances! Should be enough now.

fromfront: Yep. this is the front. Looks like the chain is touching the chain cover mounting bolt spacer thing, but it is not. Plenty of clearance there now. Though that was definately one of the things I had problems with at first. Also, I believe I have the track gears mounted backwards compared to how kerf did his. I would think this should be fine ... It gives much more clearance between the small gear and the chain cover. Kerf, you said you don't use master links because it knocked against something and caused the thing to come loose, is that correct? If so, I believe I have plenty of lateral clearance now to where the chain should not come anywhere near anything even if it is vibrating really bad. What do you think?

gebetop: Back when I first got my GEBE kit, this is where I mounted the front/top mounting bracket. Ripped outta there after a while. Aluminum frame. I hope this gp460 doesn't twist it into a pretzel.

naturallite: I don't know. Just because. Kawasaki999, you can see your old xcan mounted there!

novalve: Just showcasing the fact that I am using a polyurethane tire. Check out those spokes!

ooo: OOO ... Aaaaa! Here it is from the side, sans gas tank, and with the seatback forward. You can see that I used flat metal stock (1/4" x 1") for all mounting brackets as well as the tensioner. I plan on bolting the original square rods to the sides of these flat brackets because they do have a small amount of flex to them. I would think this should make them rigid enough.

side: Yep. Same bike. Different angle. Neat. Yes, that is the head of a jackstand hanging off of the frame there in front of the wheel. I don't have any pics at the moment, but my work area is basically two lawnmowers on either side of the bike held to the frame with bungee cords. The rest of the jack stand is attached when I need to raise the wheel off of the ground. I had to secure the **** out of this thing because I have my daughter running around and poking the thing with wrenches and screwdrivers and stuff while I am working on it. Not to mention when my brother's kids are running around here every wed-fri afternoon. Shook it around really hard and it did not fall over. I was satisfied.

sixteenth: hard to see from the picture, but that 1/2" allthread that is going through the bike is a little crooked. My fault. I was in a hurry to get my bike on the road the next day after I fashioned my own seatback support system when the cheapie support rods that came with the bike blew up. I had to compensate on this build by making one of the top brackets a sixteenth of an inch longer. This pic was taken before I even started building what you see in the previous pics.

EDIT: Well, the pics are posted in the order that I list them anyway. Kind of hard to see the actual filenames.

Attachments

• chainline.jpg
    chainline.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 323
  • fromfront.jpg
    fromfront.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 329
  • gebetop.jpg
    gebetop.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 337
  • naturallite.jpg
    naturallite.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 308
  • novalve.jpg
    novalve.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 312
  • ooo.jpg
    ooo.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 336
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 335
  • sixteenth.jpg
    sixteenth.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 308
Last edited by a moderator:
appye, well you have been an inventive cuss ain't ya ?!?

nice double idler tensioner.

i hope you don't get alot of wag with everything so far back.

just run a couple gals. thru it on the 15-20 min run / cool sequence, you should be fine.

get a fuel tank on it, need ride report !!

steve

WOW! THe size of those spokes!!! I would think 10 or so heat cycles should be good, just keep it a 1/2 or less on the gas, I know its is hard to do!

Back