project update

S

sojudave

well, got the bike painted, got my peg adapters made and the pegs on where the crank used to be. Got the rear spocket on and now for the fun stuff... the down tube is to.... rotund for the front engine mount, so not only is the diameter of the mount to narrow, the studs are to close together. On top of that, the exhaust pipe holes are off from the manifold studs. That shouldn't be to hard, just have to touch up the bolt holes a little.

more later

dave

I do have pics, but haven't posted any yet. I'll try to get that done this evening.

sojudave said:
the down tube is to.... round for the front engine mount, so not only is the diameter of the mount to narrow, the studs are to close together.
dave

Did your engine come w/a frame adapter? should be a rectangular metal plate with three holes in it, and a long screw. Looks like this:
plate.jpg

happy

do those adaptors weaken the newer aluminum frames? Ive seen high end bikes that had such thin walled aluminum tubing that you could deflect the wall of the tubing with a firm grip. how do you know what bikes are safe to use that adaptor with? I know that no one would use a $2000 bike to put a motor on, but you get my drift.

frame weakening

I NEVER drilled ANY bicycle frame to mount an engine. If I ever were to I would not be satisfied unless a steel tube had been welded full lenght into the hole (top to bottom for instance) Aluninum is way worse that steel in this case, Mike

Back