Break In Proper carburetor tuning during break in.

That will be the leanest setting. There are no more notches after that. Is that OK? Should I see how the 32:1 mix runs? That is very close now. Just a little of the rich mix is left.

Oil in the fuel only insures your internals get lubricated. The air/fuel ratio for an internal combustion engine is ideal at 14.7:1. It's really hard to tell without a wideband O2 sensor. It's more of trial and error. If you have one of those IR temp gauge you can take a temp of the head right beside the spark plug and that will give you a indication of how lean it is, the hotter it gets, the leaner it is.

That will be the leanest setting. There are no more notches after that. Is that OK? Should I see how the 32:1 mix runs? That is very close now. Just a little of the rich mix is left.
Or, you could live with a little sputter out the gate. I do that with my British car, but once on the highway it's different.

Oil in the fuel only insures your internals get lubricated. The air/fuel ratio for an internal combustion engine is ideal at 14.7:1. It's really hard to tell without a wideband O2 sensor. It's more of trial and error. If you have one of those IR temp gauge you can take a temp of the head right beside the spark plug and that will give you a indication of how lean it is, the hotter it gets, the leaner it is.
Makes sense, thanks.

Move the clip up one step on the needle and try it again.
Yeah...I had previously recommended the same thing as well...DAMIEN

Frogslayer said:
It's running rough cause it's too damn rich after the needle leaves the tube. Your leaking carburetor cap helped lean it out some
This is probably very true...That being the case, make sure that the "C" clip is now adjusted to the very top notch and then make sure that the screw top on the top of the carbie is now tightend properly

I guess the OP only tightened the carb cap and didnt relocate the "C" to the top...That probably would have gotten rid of the "stutter" and "flutter" and "bucking" on take off.

Last edited:
OP? Not sure what that means. I think I am gonna see how it runs on 32:1 and if still a "Bucky" type of takeoff, I will ensure the C is located the very last slot and tighten that cap real good. I have also heard some people use electric tape where carb connects to engine block. Is that a good idea?

OP? Not sure what that means. I think I am gonna see how it runs on 32:1 and if still a "Bucky" type of takeoff, I will ensure the C is located the very last slot and tighten that cap real good. I have also heard some people use electric tape where carb connects to engine block. Is that a good idea?
Just a smidgen where the Carb slides onto the Intake
Seal-All Gas & Oil Resistant High Strength Liquid Gas and Oil Resistant Adhesive 2 oz.

Seal-All Gas & Oil Resistant High Strength Liquid Gas and Oil Resistant Adhesive 2 oz.​

Back