Pros and cons for thumb throttle?

Emcee

Local time
5:11 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to avoid having to drill a hole in the handlebars to install a throttle. I'm thinking about just buying a thumb throttle on Amazon.

It appears to be I don't have to drill anything. I did hear that throttles made from metal don't have to be drilled. Is this true and do I 100% avoid drilling by getting a thumb throttle?

I also like the thumb throttle style as well. Do I get the same amount of "pull" as I do with a twist?

New here and to this. Thanks everyone

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to avoid having to drill a hole in the handlebars to install a throttle. I'm thinking about just buying a thumb throttle on Amazon.

It appears to be I don't have to drill anything. I did hear that throttles made from metal don't have to be drilled. Is this true and do I 100% avoid drilling by getting a thumb throttle?

I also like the thumb throttle style as well. Do I get the same amount of "pull" as I do with a twist?

New here and to this. Thanks everyone

I figure your wanting to drill a hole in the handlebars because the throttle has a little metal pin that would fit in the hole
That little pin can be cut off so ya don't have to drill a hole
The throttle will clamp on tight to your handlebars and wont move

That little pin is just there for safety in case the clamp screws come loose
Just make sure you clamp the throttle on tight so it don't move
You'll be fine I've done it

I figure your wanting to drill a hole in the handlebars because the throttle has a little metal pin that would fit in the hole
That little pin can be cut off so ya don't have to drill a hole
The throttle will clamp on tight to your handlebars and wont move
Is the point of that pin is so that the throttle housing doesn't move and just the throttle twists? Is this a common thing that people do with cutting off the pin and it not moving?

Is the point of that pin is so that the throttle housing doesn't move and just the throttle twists? Is this a common thing that people do with cutting off the pin and it not moving?
The pin is just for safety in case the clamp screws come loose

I've cut the pin off my throttle and have never had any problems
Just make sure the clamp screws are tight

Simplest and bestest pull throttle. They can break but I've never had one break. Can be mounted on the edge of a grip to save handlebar space. Need to specify when buying what type of engine carb hookup to get correct barrel end.
3356.jpg

Simplest and bestest pull throttle. They can break but I've never had one break. Can be mounted on the edge of a grip to save handlebar space. Need to specify when buying what type of engine carb hookup to get correct barrel end.
3356.jpg

Wait, so when buying a throttle I have to make sure it's for a 2 stroke engine? Is their a number I should look for? Is it measured in mm or what unit of measurement?

I use thumb throttle on a couple bikes, but for the kit carb the cable should be shorter or aftermarket carb longer. Just get the longer one and put the appropriate length of brake pipe in to shorten if needed.

I use thumb throttle on a couple bikes, but for the kit carb the cable should be shorter or aftermarket carb longer. Just get the longer one and put the appropriate length of brake pipe in to shorten if needed.
What do you mean by "carb the cable" and "brake pipe" no offense man but I don't understand anything you just said

What do you mean by "carb the cable" and "brake pipe" no offense man but I don't understand anything you just said
He didn't say "carb the cable" what he didn't do was put a comma in the appropriate place, it should read like this below.

I use thumb throttle on a couple bikes, but for the kit carb, the cable should be shorter or aftermarket carb longer.

Back