Protecting from thefts.

scribbles

Local time
10:33 PM
hey i am getting a happy time from thats dax for my old schwinn cruiser. I will be taking the bike with me to school next semester but i am afraid with rising gas prices some one will try to still it. I had no problems last year with people bothering my bike but now it will have an engine. I always lock it up but i want to make sure some one cant cut my lock and ride away. Is there any one who has ever rigged some kind of key start or magic kill switch i dont know lol...:)

MBC EDIT: THIS THREAD HAS BEEN MOVED.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey i am getting a happy time from thats dax for my old schwinn cruiser. I will be taking the bike with me to school next semester but i am afraid with rising gas prices some one will try to still it. I had no problems last year with people bothering my bike but now it will have an engine. I always lock it up but i want to make sure some one cant cut my lock and ride away. Is there any one who has ever rigged some kind of key start or magic kill switch i dont know lol...:)

I have a feeling if some one takes your Bike They may just Simply pick it up and run.:eek:

But if it makes you feel any better.
wire a hidden Taggle switch to the kill button and always leave your Clutch Engaged so the bike is not able to roll freely Placing a lock between the frame and rear tire helps as well.

Good luck with your Build.

cheers:)
Bob

BlueCollarBike

I just use a steel cable lock. Not chain, they're too easy to cut. My lock won't stop a determined thief who has any knowledge of how to get around locks, but it will surely stop the casual thief.

I have a feeling if some one takes your Bike They may just Simply pick it up and run.:eek:

But if it makes you feel any better.
wire a hidden Taggle switch to the kill button and always leave your Clutch Engaged so the bike is not able to roll freely Placing a lock between the frame and rear tire helps as well.

Good luck with your Build.

cheers:)
Bob

BlueCollarBike

sweet i think with a couple of these options i can protect my bike from the campus thefts :rolleyes:

THREE LOCKS. Different configurations. Make sure all three loops around the bike rack.
And don't trust all bike racks. Some are simply bolted to the concrete. And car can break these right off. Those newer racks with the thick poles are far better.
Then I keep an 8 foot cable for when I can't find a secure spot except for a huge tree or a street light or a thick building post. Then my other two locks lock up my wheels.
Get a u lock that you can't pick with a pen,a cable lock and a chain lock. I prefer keys to combination locks. Combination locks can be picked. It's pretty easily done on some of them.
Just the presence of three different locks would turn a thief away. I mean I see bikes all the time locked up by a flimsy wal mart lock at the park and rides.
But campus theft may be the least of your worries. $%^#$ that are simply jealous may want to vandalize your bike. You may come back with bent rims,wires missing,foreign stuff in your tank.
I keep a spare magneto and coil in my tool pouch. I also have the capacity to get a lock for my gas tank from my tank mod.http://www.motoredbikes.com/showpost.php?p=104613&postcount=41 But thanks to pabickwermert in a PM,he gave me a good link to a locking gas cap that will fit your tank!
http://www.discountscooterparts.com/169.htm
My clutch mod I can flick my clutch cable in a second. This disables your clutch.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showpost.php?p=100500&postcount=15
But I've been riding my 4 stroke more lately and I haven't figured much yet as to how to prevent from vandalism so I don't lock it up for long.
Ask campus security if there's a camera by the bike racks. That's where I would want to lock my bike up.

anyone ever think of fabricating a thick lock made out of thick steel rods or square tube. maybe something over 2" in diameter. that way, bolt cutters would not be an option. only an angle grinder would be able to cut it off. and that takes time and would make too much noise.

last year here in seattle there was a tv news story--guys were locking bikes to sign posts downtown but the bad guys had loosened the posts so when you walked off they just lifted the post and off they went. probably learned it in jail.

Ask your local esoteric blacksmith to make you an enchanted lock. The one I have will summon several hungry Imps and a Harpy or two to devour the thief.

These lock can be very expensive, and you may have to fulfill some kind of quest for the blacksmith, but they are truly excellent locks and you never have to worry about thieves again.

I think that no matter what an item is, if someone really wants to steal it, they'll find a way. The best theft prevention method is simply removing the opportunity. If a would be thef is not tempted to steal, than they will not. Regards to bicycles: Follow this Link This is the only practical, fool proof way or preventing your bike from being stolen, and technically it has to be stolen to be worth tracking lol.

yes u can lock up ur bike as much as u like but they can also be big *****s and cut ur fuel lines or just try rowen ur bike coz there jealous.

Back