Protective Gear

Porkchop

Local time
1:04 PM
Does anyone know a good place (Web Site) where I might find large adult sized protective gear such as knee pads and elbow pads. My local bike shops and department stores don't seem to have any. Thanks !

You could try a skate board shop, they would be more likely to carry them.

I need to go through my local Yellow Pages and see what we have around here. I have been through the skate board sections at the local stores and haven't found anyhting. I hate to mail order somethng and not being able to do a fit comparison between one size smaller or larger. Such a pain sometimes with the transaction time. Been to 2 different Sports Authorities, ****s, Accademy and several bike shops. I found several at Amazon.com, but 'm holding out to see if I can find something local before I mail order.

you might try Lowes, or the Home Depot for the knee pads they have several different styles.mostly used by flooring contractors, & installers. i don't know about the elbow pads.

Article in today's New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/01/sports/othersports/01cycling.html?_r=1&th&emc=th

For Cyclists, Collarbones Are Made to Be Broken

By BILLY WITZ
Published: April 30, 2009

BAYARD, N.M. - As Jaime Gandara was rolling through the first stage of the Tour of the Gila, a rider heading downhill at the head of the peleton suddenly tumbled and crashed.

Lance Armstrong is riding in the Tour of the Gila with a metal plate in his right shoulder. It was placed there to help mend the collarbone he broke in March.

As the pack successfully swerved out of the way, Gandara found himself near Lance Armstrong. He sidled up to Armstrong and asked how he was feeling.

Gandara knew all too well. Like Armstrong, he had a titanium plate screwed into his collarbone, and he is reminded of it each time there is a near accident.

"We were sharing horror stories," said Gandara, who pulled back his jersey to show Armstrong the scar from his broken collarbone. "We were asking each other questions. I asked him how many bolts he had in there. He said he felt great, but I told him: 'Dude, wait until it rains. Then you're really going to feel it in there.' "

But when Armstrong crashed and landed in a ditch during a race in Spain last month, he joined a not-so-select fraternity of cyclists - those who have broken their clavicles.

"If you haven't broken your collarbone, you haven't ridden long enough," said Ben Day, a member of the Fly V Australia-Successful Living team.

The injury is common among riders sent hurtling off their bicycles during a crash. Often the first part of their body to hit the ground is a shoulder, elbow or wrist. The force can be transmitted up the arm to the collarbone, which is one of the body's most vulnerable bones.
Ben King, a rider for Fly V Australia-Successful Living, has not broken his collarbone, but he has crashed into a wall at 60 miles an hour. King, who has raced in Europe, the United States and Australia, said the riders' competitiveness here created a more dangerous environment.

"Here, it's crazy," King said. "You have guys fighting for the 100th wheel."

Gandara, a native of El Paso has also raced in Europe, and said many Europeans complained about the risks taken here.

"The Europeans only take risks at the end, when they're trying to win the race," Gandara said. "You don't have somebody crash and take six guys out just to win $50."

Back