Pull Start Clutch Kit

I got one of these here clutch kits and i found a few pull starters that go with them but they all look so cheap does anyone here know a way to make them better or know of one that isn't so cheap
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

curtisfox

There has been a few guys that have used them on the other forum: said the first thing is to change the rope, for a better one. I think they are about the same as a weed eater pull start.

I am watching this one, I would like to try these, but can't find any reliable info.
I will let you know my experience
There has been a few guys that have used them on the other forum: said the first thing is to change the rope, for a better one. I think they are about the same as a weed eater pull start.
I just ordered a pull starter for my kit and also noticed the kit i bought was unthreaded so i gotta thread it myself i will be going to the hardware store and getting high quality rope i also noticed a few people saying add extra gaskets and drilling a hole into it and the gear so you can keep it greased so i'll prob do that but i'm also gonna replace the cheap screws with some quality ones.

junglepig

I will let you know my experience

I just ordered a pull starter for my kit and also noticed the kit i bought was unthreaded so i gotta thread it myself i will be going to the hardware store and getting high quality rope i also noticed a few people saying add extra gaskets and drilling a hole into it and the gear so you can keep it greased so i'll prob do that but i'm also gonna replace the cheap screws with some quality ones.
Please let us know how it goes. With my level of disability even pedaling to start the bike is excruciating, if only for a few minutes. I'm definitely considering a pull start.
I think my next build may be a four-stroke.

Thanks!!

I have heard of them breaking easily I think someone on here made a kick start out of the pull start somehow they attached the pull rope to a lever. The only bad thing about the clutch is probably quality and if the pull start breaks you can't start it.

Last edited:
In my thoughts, it would be more logical to extend the shaft, add a pulley with a catch so you could wrap a rope around the pulley and use it as a pull start. I remember that our lawnmower had that system back when I was a kid. The issue with that is losing your pull start rope, but a piece of clothesline rope always fixed it back in the 1950's.

ok i've only used it for eh a hour after i've found out my pedal sprocket was on backwards and the clutch kit is wonder full, the pull start is complete garb i would use lot more ******* words but i'm gonna keep it clean here lol. after two pulls one of the springs came loose so i put it back in then the rope would only go half way back so i fixed that THEN 2 more pulls later the rope came all the way out and now it wont wind back up and if i try to wind it up manually you hear grinding so i give i'll just look into electric or a kick start.

Last edited:
So the pull start is garbage. What about the clutch kit. Is it "wonderful" or "^%$# garbage"?
The clutch kit is wonderful the pull start is garbage or should i say a piece of ******* ****

only thing about the clutch kit is i had to take a file too it to make it fit because it wasn't fully flatten out
and they recommend using both washers i could only use one if i used both then it wouldn't tighten up all the way for me that is.

Last edited: