Pull Start or Bipod Kick Stand for a Garage Start?

Acefire

Local time
5:56 AM
Hey team!

I want to be able to get this thing running right out of the garage without a pedaling up. I know everyone wants to say "you should only have to feather graze the pedals to get your bike to start" or "one pedal and it starts" or "you're a little bi*#ch who doesn't want to pedal."

I am not here currently to get those responses. And I am glad your bike is sent from god in heaven to start when you look at the pedal.

/end_rant

Option #1
Looks like a pull start is cheap and easy to throw on. Might need to get wider pedals to clear the pull starter. Could potentially torque the crankshaft keyway and/or magnet leading to improper timing.

--OR--

Option #2
Throw a bipod style kickstand on it that completely raises the back tire making it ready to "stomp" start or kickstart using the pedals. This seems like an easier mod, and honestly seems like less downsides.

What are your thoughts? I want the pullstart, but the kickstand seems like the better choice. Maybe I should just get both?

Thanks chainlube. That was the consensus I came to. I thought maybe their would *nicer* ones the forums would recommend if I went that route.

Thanks chainlube. That was the consensus I came to. I thought maybe their would *nicer* ones the forums would recommend if I went that route.
If you go through all the trials and pain to get it running top notch you won't need either. I just pick up the tail on my bike, (by the new rack I put on for that purpose) give the pedal a kick and the way I go.

You might try a compression release on a dual sparkplug head (I'm curious if that would work).
I'm going to get this for my 2 plug head...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220319-185028.png
    Screenshot_20220319-185028.png
    162 KB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot_20220319-190954.png
    Screenshot_20220319-190954.png
    226.4 KB · Views: 113
If you read the other threads on pull starts, you'll find out they are made pretty cheap and only last for a couple of yanks.
Not really. I use a pull start for bench testing. Hasn't broken yet. You just have to install it properly.

Back