Pull start?

Zac

Local time
11:49 AM
Quick question, is it worth it to get a pull start? It would be very convenient, but reviews are very mixed. Should I consider one? Also, I've seen people put electric start on motorized bikes. Anyone know anything about this?

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
This is the size battery my XT250 takes and you can get a cheaper brand one for about $30. With no running lights you should get a lot of starts out of it and it will fit in that battery box easily.

YTZ7S Motocross 12v 130 CCA AGM​

Dunno if a 6v or 12v is needed, be sure before you buy anything. 12v battery will decrease life of a 6v starter drastically.

Quick question, is it worth it to get a pull start? It would be very convenient, but reviews are very mixed. Should I consider one? Also, I've seen people put electric start on motorized bikes. Anyone know anything about this?
If you go pull start make sure you buy the metal insert one, not the plastic. It's the plastic ones that you hear about breaking.

Also if you're considering a pull start you can use a centrifugal clutch then you won't have to worry about clutching. The draw back is you won't be able to crank on the fly with a pull start and centrifugal clutch.
Why not?, mine starts on the fly. Mine is a 2 stroke china doll. Clutch works too .

In my low experience opinion. If the bike is running right, you won't need a pull start. I can only see the benefit when you are figuring things out. If you have to pedal around the block to get it started, you are going to pull it 100 times to get it started.

Why not?, mine starts on the fly. Mine is a 2 stroke china doll. Clutch works too .
So you're saying you have a pull start and a centrifugal clutch? I suppose you might be able to start on the fly if you can reach your pull start and pull it. The only safe way I could see doing this is to put a long pull cord on it ran through an eye hook mounted to the top tube. Similar to how push mowers have the pull cord on the mower handle.

So you're saying you have a pull start and a centrifugal clutch? I suppose you might be able to start on the fly if you can reach your pull start and pull it. The only safe way I could see doing this is to put a long pull cord on it ran through an eye hook mounted to the top tube. Similar to how push mowers have the pull cord on the mower handle.
Some of them have a sprag clutch.

Back