Pulling a ride a bad idea?

S

sherryc8641

One day I was very board. I had my gas bike out and was hanging out with my friend. Then I had a great idea to "hitch" pull a wagon from behind the bike. It worked out great with my wooden wagon, since it could steer and go up to around 30mph (any faster was too scary) :eek: . The question though comes when you know how much weight is being mooved all togther. I'm guessing...
40 pounds for wagon, 45 for bike, 130 for me, and 160 for my friend. Around 380 pounds that thing is moving (I'm guessing). I only know I've rode my bike enough that I used up around 3 tanks so far. Would this be very bad for the bike, ok, or good for the bike if I continue to do this?

clutch?

if any thing I think it would be hard on your clutch but other than that, IMHO, as long as it's pulling and not over revving it shouldn't hurt . I pull me two granddaughters in a trailer all the time :)

Bill

hahaha :LOL:

I'm having a flashback......when I was little...early 1960's.....my Dad & his buddy hitched our quarter horse up to my lil red wagon.....I remember Dad...standing in my wagon, like it was a freakin chariot. No one was harmed in this event..... & I got a new wagon :D .
so listen to azK....good advice....& be careful!!! 30 mph....sheesh!!
oh you kids...you heal soooo fast!

Pulling wagon

good idea. Just use a helmet and as much protective gear as you can muster up. Phone books and duct tape work great as a last resort used to do it all the time when we were short on hocky equipment in Detroit.

About safty, don't worry too much because I have been wearing elbow pads, knee pads, a helment, gloves, and a good jacket.
Also thanks for speaking up about my subject :)

as long as you aren't riding the clutch, I don't think it would be hard on it at all. I'd make sure the rider is wearing protective gear. I think the worst that could happen is you wouldn't get quite the gas mileage you are used to :)

yup...if it can't do it, it won't do it...but be mindful of the mechanical components (clutch, chain, spokes, BRAKES, etc...), not to mention passenger safety, which everyone has mentioned 8)

When you say clutch do you mean the transmission clutch lever or some part in the engine?

the clutch plate itself is the main issue...the friction material is purposely designed to slip a bit as you gradually engage, and therefore it will wear as a normal course of events.

the extra load means faster wear.

You may also want to take into consideration your braking ability with that much weight . . . I'm sure it slows when you let off the gas but if you have to stop suddenly there may be an issue . . .

Just carry a camcorder and get some nice footage . . .

JaSoN

Back