Tubes Puncture Free Tire?

I've seen a "slimed" tire blow up, one heck of a mess! Took the owner (not me, fortunately) days to clean it all up. Also, you'll NEVER get a patch to stick to any tube with slime in it. I've had great success with all the Kevlar tires I've run (Armadillo and Performance Store house brand).

Keep It Simple and Logical

After all the work installing the engine and drive train;

And knowing the rear rack will be no fun to deal with when removing the rear wheel to fix;

And the fact that the rear wheel is the main support for you and the added 12 pounds of engine and whatever else;

Isn't it false economy to rationalize using anything but a very puncture resistant rear tire?

Specialized Armadillo or the Schwalbe tires and maybe others are spendy, but offer worry free running.

Vaughn here,
I thought you folks might be interested in this site: http://www.nu-teck.com/

Now before I go any further we have no personal experience with them but several long-time customers have recommended them with flying colors. They offer "solid" bicycle tire replacements at a great price.

Introduction

Imagine a bicycle tire impervious to rusty nails, broken glass sharp rocks, thorns. Dream on you say!!

Nu-Teck Corporation, of Englewood, Colorado, is introducing a full line of flat-proof, leak-proof and maintenance free tires. No way, you say? Here's how...each tire is made of hundreds of thousands of microscopic air cells trapped in a matrix of incredibly tough polyurethane. The result is a tire that is amazingly light-weight, incredibly durable and easier to roll than ordinary rubber tires. Lose the pump, patch kit and problems associated with rusty nails, broken glass and thorns!

Nu-Teck tires are currently available for most bicycles, wheelchairs, scooter's, lawn and garden applications at competitive prices.

Hopefully this will help some of you guys, if anyone does try one of these please post your experiences with them. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to go with kevlar mountain bike tires ( X1.95) and SmartTubes by SLIME.
Claims to seal punctures of 1/8". 5X thicker and lasts 5X longer than a conventional tube. These babies are very thick yet installed quite easily. Well see how they hold up.
With regard to exploding tires.... perhaps a simple before and after tire pressure measurement after a "hot" ride. ( high sustained speed and/or hot day) would give some insight as to pressure expansion and adjust air pressure within range.

I have heard instances of slime filled tubes getting hot from the higher speeds that we do, causing them to burst
no personal experience, but I have heard of it happening

EXPLODE is a better word. Stuffing your tire with dirt and leaves is no fun when you're 10 miles away.
I had pre slimed tubes with kelvar tires and there were bits and pieces of tube inside. It was hot out.
Solid rubber tires are heavy yes. But you are in a MOTORIZED BIKE!
Once it get's moving there is NO DIFFERENCE in weight or anything.
My rear tire does do a little hop dance now though but some usually get lucky and winds up with a smooth tire,but I'm used to it now.
No more flats. That's assurance.
Wal Mart carries them,but they go fast. I had to go to two different stores.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like air in my kevlar lined tires. I use pre-slimed tubes AND Mr. Tuffy tire liners. Spare pre-slimed tubes, CO2 and a tire pump are carried on all trips.
For me the jury is still out on airless tires. Please Google Sheldon Brown+tires. The best of luck to those that go airless, please do report back after several hundred miles. :)

i would love to be able to build a motoredbike around these airless tires, an asphalt-roadster. but, the low-profile eats up a lot of potential top-end, a huge drawback. another is that they require a very narrow rim to seat (and handle) correctly. i was in close contact with the owner of kik during my early miles, he was very helpful and quite interested in how they performed with an engine...i truly believe it's a great option under the right conditions, and i think this is another part of the market MBc could help define if there was an interest.

i'm using a set of hutchinson "acrobat" tires with bell-branded major-thick slime tubes right now...i have no complaints.

Put in my Mr Tuffy tire liners, and very thick tubes, (those weigh a few pounds..lol), about 900 miles ago. No flats!! (knock on wood). Runnin' generic 2.125X26 whitewall tires I got for $14.95 ea, at my local bike shop with them. I can't remember the brand of tire, but they are not kevlar re-inforced....lol....Definitely some K-mart specials. I'd say the Mr Tuffy's are mostly responsible for my worry-free tires. :)

I've said this all over this forum but since this one got bumped,I'm gonna chime in again.
NoMoreFlats is good ONLY if you have a PERFECTLY STRAIGHT AND TRUE wheel.
You WILL notice the SLIGHTEST imperfections.
I'm running the gel tubes again at 30 PSI. This is less than minimum tire pressure recommendation. It's still inflated well at 30 and this insures against an explosion. Just by feeling the tires it seems to run cooler but this could be my imagination.
So far,I haven't exploded again so I think I got it.
Also with any tube,inflate the tube a little just so it makes the donut shape THEN install it preferably by hand.This gets rid of any kinks and/or twists in the tube.
I had a slow leak in my gel tube and it wasn't my nipple. I took it off the rim and discovered a twist in my tube. I leaked right at the part of the twist that wasn't pressing on the tire/rim.I initially installed it uninflated.I fixed the kink and put the same tube back. Fixed it. No more leaks.
That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Back