Tubes Puncture Free Tire?

I like my Mr. Tuffy tire liners and puncture resistant tubes, but when I replace the tires, I'm definitely going with some General Tire City Contacts. A nice 2 inch wide kevlar lined tire. I like the tread pattern too....nice grip, but nice and fast too.

Well....I wasn't able to successfully un-twist the No More Flat innertube, and I couldn't get the **** tire off the rim, so after about 4 hours of trying, I cut the tire off. :) (Software Developer by day, terrible mechanic by night!) I'm embarrased that I had to cut it off...

Anyway, another trip to Wallyworld, picked up another Kevlar comfort tire, and 2 of the Bell extra-thick tubes, and a roll of electrical tape....

3 layers of electrical tape over the spokes on the rims...then the 5mm tube, then the Mr. Tuffy against the tire...

Made it to work...so far, so good.

Inflated to 28lbs. Thought it was a bit soft...but no blow out in 6 miles.

Yeah, it felt a bit mushy (laterally), so I think when I get home I'll bump it to 32-35?

The road was HOT today...and so were the rims. I stopped several times to feel it, and I wouldn't want to keep my hand on the rim indefinitely.

The new tires, more rounded, felt better. I'm glad I have the solid tube up front - that feels really good - I wouldn't use it in a balloon tire, but on the tires I have now, it feels like a tire with probably 45-50psi...but the ride is softer.

I rode to work on the sidewalk because traffic was crazy...a lot smoother than before.

I'll post again when I get home...wish me luck! (I'm so paranoid about flats...I hope that goes away).

BTW: My helmet arrived today. Half-shell...chrome finish with flames - I thought the chrome would reflect instead of heat up...its' comfortable, and fits well, and now my head is safe. It's a DOT helmet, and I got it for $35 online.

Mark

Don't blame ya a bit for cuttin' that tire off...lol..I'd have done the same thing..heheh. I think the secret to getting the Tuffys centered, is keeping the wheel vertical after you slide 'em in there, and tap the sides of the tire while rotating the wheel on both sides to center the strip inside. Then inflate to pressure, (puncture resistant tubes of course)...I run about 35 psi on my generic 2.1 X 26 inch whitewall tires. ($14.99 at local bike shop) Runnin' them on a Schwinn Alloy Seven cruiser. No flats yet! knock on wood..lol.

I'm repeating this question in case you're not monitoring my original tire thread: I got the tire and No-More-Flats on...well about 98%. There's a 1 inch section that no matter how many times I tuck it in with the flathead, pops right out a second later.

My hands are SO sore! I hope someone can tell me an easy way to fix this cause I'm REALLY stumped.

If I am interpreting your problem correctly; I sounds like the tire is stretched. If you tried to put on several times with the same result I'm assuming the the tube is laying in there properly and not kinked or doubled on itself causing a fat spot.

But even if it was, the tire is too loose and stretched or the wrong size if allows the tube to push it off/above the rim with normal pressure. Is this new tire or one you've been running?

I've only had that problem once and it was with cruiser tires that I had been using on a motorized bike for not many miles. For your safety I'm frowning on the low pressure thing. If you have pull a quick evasive maneuver that tire is ready to pull right off the rim at the worst moment.

Michael

p.s. When you install an inner tube it's best not to lay it in there "limp noddle". Give it some air so it has enough form to avoid twists and kinks while you get the tire on.

Last edited:
Hi Michael,
Actually the problem was that the No-More-Flats solid tube twisted about 90 degrees...it's not a round tube, it's tear-drop shaped. The thinner side was pointing to the sidewall, and popping it out. I was not able to untwist it because I couldn't get the tire back off. (Try getting a tire off that's filled with air!)

MY HANDS STILL HURT, 48 hours later!!!!

I cut it off the rim after 6 hours of fighting, went to Wallyworld, picked up a new Kevlar Comfort tire, the Bell 5mm Slime tube, and a roll of electrical tape. I wrapped the spokes 3 layers thick, then the tube, then a Mr. Tuffy insert...all is good in the world now! (I hope)

Cya
Mark

Don't play with miracle ideas :p

1. Take spare tire 26 x 2.1(?)
2. Inflate it on wheel
3. Take sharp knife or few paper knife
4. Cut all rubber off and left tire bold,
5. Remove it from wheel, cut off wire which is arround on both sides
6. Cut tire in one place across,
7. Put it inside to main tire (26 x 2.3 maybe?)
8. Cut small part 5 cm or more from another tire which will be missing when you put tires together,
9. Stick everything by duct tape,
10. You can stick sharp corners by duct tape as well,
10a. Use some washing up liquid on sides to put tire straight on rim
11. Put everything on wheel (can be hard)
12. Put tube inside - inflate a little.
13. Put tire on rim (use spoon, table knife piece of metal , not very sharp thing)
14. Inflate to hard rock pressure,
15. Be happy from your new very heavy wheel - but at last you don't get puncture:p

I have 4 Schwalbe Crazy BOB 26x2.3 tires with 2nd tires inside - 0 punctures since that.

Guess what? I had a flat!!! I guess ya can't win with this thing. I had a normal inner tube in the front wheel, and the Mr Tuffy rubbed a hole in the tube where the excess tire liner overlaps....lol. I was lucky...just rolling up onto the patio after a 12 mile cruise, I noticed it going flat. Remedy? I put a Giant (brand) thorn resistant inner tube in there...just like the back. It'll take a while for anything to rub through that thick thing! Suddenly I notice my speedometer isn't working!! Doh! I put the front wheel on backwards, leaving the sensor on the spoke out of reach for the computer transmitter. he he

Odd... I was wondering if most people cut the excess tire liner off or what? And do you guys tape yours on there. I just let it overlap like you did, stuck the tube in very carefully... but I'm wishing I woulda at least taped it. Tape didn't seem like a good idea at the time because of balance issues, but this tire's not going much more than 25mph... so tape prolly is a good idea.

Back