Tubes Puncture Free Tire?

I had an amazing amount of flats...now I have NMF on the front, and for the rear I'm using the Bell extra-thick tube...but - I think the flats were coming from the INSIDE, not out. I saw a post where someone wrapped electrical tape over the spokes on the rims 3 times around. I did the same thing, and haven't had a flat yet (been about 3 months and probably a good 300 miles or so.

I'm actually ready to switch back from the Bell Kevlar comfort tires to the balloon tires that came with my Kulana now, since I think I've really solved the problem.

tires in side tires

I had a small glass puncture one day, when I got home I discovered the thorn tube was pushing threw the hole and I just made it home. the glass bit had cut threw the Kevlar belt and a tire liner.

I had a brain storm and decided that I should cut off the wire beads on the tire that was now useless, and put it inside a slightly larger tire. I have never had a puncture again, its been three years.

I have used two old tires inside a new one, but probably don't need so much rubber. and it is a bit harder to get the extra tires on the rim but totally worth the effort

tires

Jawnn, thats the best idea I,ve heard in a long time ,I need to find some old worn tires now and put them in. thanks for sharing your brainstorm.

Goat Head Thorns

I have been reading about 'tribulus terrestris thorns and they sound very bad.

I dont even know if my idea of tires in tires will work. but I would try an Armadillo tire and a third tire like a primo comit inside a large tire (they don't have to be used tires). And even a heavy duty tire liner if it would fit.

Be sure to use thorn resistant tubes to avoid pinch punctures wile installing so many tires.

Any one with experience with the thorns?

Has any one used the very moution sensitive slime (not the green slime) that you have to replace twice a year? very expensive and not worth the effort, but they say it works.

Last edited:
as a teeneger I always kept 1 tire inside another I used a combination of the bench grinder & belt sander to smooth the tread of the old junk tire & partial sidewall they worked good for the most part still got occasional punctures.

as for spokes I have used 3 to 4 layers of duck tape over all spokes there is no way I would ever use just the rubber protective strip only

I rode Harleys & other motorcycles too many miles & I have even used tire in a tire on motorcycle tires when I didnt have enough money for a new tire & tread was getting thin to keep from puncturing. the good old days.. lol

Randy

Back