Push to Change California MB Law

A

angus

I'm interested in presenting to my California state assemblywoman a proposal to change the laws related to motorized bicycles moving from registration as a moped and a need for M2 license to something far easier than that.

I've searched threads on our site but did not come across similar efforts.

Has anyone done this? Is anyone interested in teaming-up to pursue this effort? Thoughts, advice, jeers? :D

angus

dvonjordan --thank you for your response.. Just starting to get some facts together -- for good old Calif.... there seem to be A LOT OF GREY AREAS !!! Not real sure where to start -- BUT -- gathering of information and with gas prices on our side -- timing could be right !!! Have a good day, from Mountainman

For now I'll just ride "illegally." Dont think the cops are going to give me too much trouble...

The law certainly needs to be clarified. After reading and re-reading, I don't see any listing of license requirements. (Not trying to start a debate; if you have a link let me know) I have a motorcycle license, so this isn't a concern (for me), I would just like to know. Also, it is completely unreasonable to ask that turn signals and a horn be added. This is not something bicycles come with and given the speed restrictions, I see no need given that human power alone can achieve those speeds. Again, I'm not certain that this is a requirement, but should NEVER be.

Go for it!

--John (Monterey, CA)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all! Thanks for your responses!

I've already contacted McClintock's office (...he is the state representative from my area and is also high-up in the transportation sub-committee); his folks told me that they liked the idea of simpler treatment for motorized bicycles and to reconnect with them in the fall when they're readying their legislative plate for 2009).

In the mean time, if you all would like to help, then we should prepare a simple set of recommendations based on the current situation and a vision for how MBs should be managed.

Any thoughts?

Maybe we should start with what the currect situation is? Define it as we know it, utilizing the DMV website, and base our clarifications/recommendations on that.

--John

Information on current situation in California

Here is how the California Highway Patrol (CHP) speak to motorized bicycles (...they are paraphrasing the California vehicle code, I believe...):

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/motors.html

Here is a private website that has dmv information on it and lays out the requirements for mopeds / motorized bicycles in California:

http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/other-types.php

Note: I believe that both of these sites are showing accurate information; however, I'm not a lawyer! :)

I personally dont think I should have to get another license to operate my motorbike. I ride & obey laws on my reg bicycle so I do the same on the motorbike. They may do this for the fact that I see all kinds of people riding the wrong direction & doing stupid things on bicycles - and that probably would transfer over & make some dangerous motorbiking.

Back