Put gas in diesel gas tank.

Local time
5:57 PM
I put some gas in a diesel gas tank. I was just wondering if I pour gas from that orange gas tank used for diesel into my gas bike will it cause any problems? Also will i have problems putting diesel back in the tank afterwards and useing it to fuel up my truck? Thanks in advance.

so you used an empty diesel jerrycan for gas? was there any diesel left in the jerrycan? how much gas went in?

if you had a 5 gal can that was basically empty and filled it right up, I think you would be fine. I don't think trace amounts either way should have an impact, but I've never tried it so I can't guarantee

found this as an explanation
Gasoline contamination can also damage the fuelpump and mess up diesel injectors. This happens because of a drop in lubrication. Simply speaking,gasoline is a solvent while diesel is an oil. Dieselhas enough lubricity to lubricate the fuel pumps and the injectors.

Drain all the gas out of the can then air dry for a few days where there's no liquid left in the can, you'll be alright then.

There was no diesel in the can just the walls where wet with it filled it up about 1/3 of the way. Do you think i could just splash some diesel in the can splash it around to rinse it then dump it out would that then be acceptable to fill. Also Im going to start up the bike thats been sitting for months with the contaminated gas. Should be fun will report back with deets.

A little diesel in your 2 stroke mix will not harm your engine, it's an additional lubricant. And in trace amounts I doubt it would clog your carb.

And ya prerinsing the Jerrycan back to diesel is a definetely a good idea.

Back