Put new grease in my bike's steer tube bearings and it is smooth.

cloakedvillain

Local time
3:49 AM
I couldn't believe how much dirt was in the old grease and how stiff it was in hindsight. Not noticeably stiff but it is night and day with the new grease.

I didn't think riding down a gravel road would cause THAT much dirt to get in there lol. The bearings were clean when I got the frame maybe a month ago.
I clean and inspect all head bearings every 2 to 3 years on my bikes assuming the seals are good. Even with the seals in place they are relatively open to the environment, and grease is really great about having everything stick to it, especially dirt.

I probably need to clean mine, but I'll probably put it off for a while because it's not urgent, or really a problem.
It takes 15 minutes. The hardest part is the quick release on the levers and throttle. If those bearings are seized from contamination you will have a lot more work to do than wiping the races off and squeezing new grease on. I have seen one completely destroy itself, no ball bearings just a chewed up rusty ring all from the lack of lube with no contamination. I'll try to find it.

It takes 15 minutes. The hardest part is the quick release on the levers and throttle. If those bearings are seized from contamination you will have a lot more work to do than wiping the races off and squeezing new grease on. I have seen one completely destroy itself, no ball bearings just a chewed up rusty ring all from the lack of lube with no contamination. I'll try to find it.
I'm planning on putting a dual springer front end in soon, so I'm not too concerned, it also spins freely and easy when the wheel is off the ground.

Was sorting through my parts bins and found the rotten ball bearings. Came off my dad's big box mountain bike which was at least ten years old and never got any service until I took a look at it.

Attachments

• 20230412_174632.jpg
    20230412_174632.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 20230412_174637.jpg
    20230412_174637.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 38
Ahh, yes, I see it came with the standard amount of grease one gets from a Chinese made product. 1 drop.

The head bearings for my Hawk 250 were that dry out of the crate. Each bearing set had 1 pea sized bit of clear "grease" on it.

Back