Putting chain back together with more chain

INTP_ty

Local time
3:45 PM
Instead of buying a new chain, I put two short chains together without using “another” master link.

I noticed flat spots on the pins. I suppose this is how they make the chain. They put it together, then “smash” the ends with Force so it kinna Moltens over.

I don’t have access to a grinder. Need I be worried? It’s holding....

Did you use a chain press or at least like hammer and punch to slightly mushroom the pin after you put it back together? I just press bike chains and chainsaw chains apart and then press back together and mushroom the end slightly with a little anvil in my chain press kit. I never use master links on my own stuff, I'm too cheap lol and properly pressed chain has less chance of failing than a master link.

You have somewhere to go, and only so many bike parts and tools. Go ahead, get to where you need to go. Sure, be worried that always helps lol.
Ride carefully and have a nice ride. ☺

I like using a drill bit as a guide to line up the holes then press the pin through using a piece of chain without side plates as a guide, then peen between a sledge hammer on the floor and a punch and hammer up top.

Ya just today I order a set of 3 chain links from China cost $2.50 I wish I had done that 5 months ago. Snap a link yesterday found the plate and the 2 barrel but no clip wired it with copper shrades from a wire I suggest if your in a bind don't use copper although it held til I got to REI had the retainer clip but I suggest leave your stainless steel clutch cable long its a source of material you can take a few strands off wire it back on the slits get you there without breaking like copper mean time don't be lazy and stupid prepare be ready order now carry 1 with you 3 links for under 3 bucks free shipping but it's like 3 to 7 weeks before it gets there they also have 30 links for $10.00 in case you have motor bike acquaintcys might need help for $5 to $10 on the spot remedy.

long as its a mushroom pin design and the pin is resmashed ( or a new one used), you should have no prob. they sell chain presses for out bikes for about 20 bucks, little more and you can get a multi die chain press and do almost every chain out there. i run #420 on a lot of my bikes, very long lived, im talking 5000 miles plus if treated right. i make my own chain from rolls. sometimes i do press the pins in a press to make a solid chain. mainly for my family's younger riders. tht way i know they ain't gonna loose a master link clip and call me up. lol

The Master Link Clip will usually fall off if the open end of the link clip is installed backwards.
Install the rounded end of the link clip going in the direction of travel.

or you destroy the chain and it starts flopping all over. few of my engines i had to bump up to some heavy duty chain, or ride them lighter on the throttle. those engines might only last a few months, but holy cow!! gotta let the kids have fun. lol

So I found that a half link only makes a chain longer and not shorter today.😩
Edit: sorry, not true.. Ralphop

Last edited:
long as its a mushroom pin design and the pin is resmashed ( or a new one used), you should have no prob. they sell chain presses for out bikes for about 20 bucks, little more and you can get a multi die chain press and do almost every chain out there. i run #420 on a lot of my bikes, very long lived, im talking 5000 miles plus if treated right. i make my own chain from rolls. sometimes i do press the pins in a press to make a solid chain. mainly for my family's younger riders. tht way i know they ain't gonna loose a master link clip and call me up. lol
I use a park tool chain breaker and works good with my method. Very quick for splicing.

Back