PW50 VM-12 carb experiment

I've been riding the bike around our lot this evening and I can't fault the operation. When I closely inspected the clutch there really wasn't any room for a bearing race, I honestly think they did this to save labor and cost. It's pretty weird

It goes with what I've seen with other Chinese engineered stuff, it actually makes sense because these engines see a short, rough life, and the fact I can easily just spritz the two halves every 300 miles or so isn't such a bad thing. I'd actually prefer doing this than wondering when those 53 ball bearings decide to recycle themselves amongst the gear teeth. For one thing I'm not going to let the engine spend a lot of time with the engine running while stopped. I may even try hyper-mileing by idling the engine on downhills with the clutch disengaged.

we need more ppl to cast and cnc cases for these engines here in the USA. there's a couple but they're hella 'spensive

The cases for the average user aren't the big issue. It's just that some of these are coming with really loose clutch assemblies. I own a pair of old Hondas that I've re-engined with Chinese Honda clone engines There's a bit of the same engineering shortcuts on those engines too. But you know, for a $300 125 cc Honda clone that's already racked up 15K of commuting use, I'm pretty happy with my purchase. I hope I can get at least 4K out of the HT kit engine.

ive got 850 miles so far on my 48cc with only the clutch assembly replaced. it's a bad design but inexpensive. I'm guessing I'll get 1500 miles max on the jug and rings. some peeps have gotten 2k trouble free and some 5-600 miles only. I think I'm lucky with mains, bevel gear, seals,,,

Back