pyrolysis? plastic to usable fuel?

Will'smotobikes19

I ran across a few videos of people with contraptions that seem to convert plastic to a flammable fuel. My question is how would you test it and tweak it to have the qualities you want. Plastic is everywhere and you could make a good amount of fuel. We all know how plastic stinks when you burn it. I'm sure some poisonous gasses would be made. Maybe some sort of water bubbler could reduce that. This is similar to making charcoal where its not exposed to direct flame. Imagine what a clean method of converting the massive amounts of plastic waste to fuel could do.

JerboaJohn

could be done but the flame is low energy compared to volatile liquids and gasses. best used in slow heating processes. recyclers do it to heat water n such but it doesn't burn clean at all is why it's never used wide scale

Steve Best

Yeah, lots of very toxic gasses produced. I have seen some woodgas production units including ones used for farm tractors and WWII cars in France. They take 20-30 minute warm up times and speeds limited by gas production. The engines themselves need frequent de-coking due the the residue from the dirty fuel. As mentioned above , woodgas works better as a heating or cooking fuel, and not as toxic as plastic.

Will'smotobikes19

Yeah I've been researching this a little. It seems to need a second round of distillation/purification. People were talking about catalysts and such. I'm aware of fumes but some setups have an afterburner thing that burns the extra gasses at the end of the system. The chamber needs to be sealed to have a proper effect. Perhaps mixing used motor oil with the plastic at a certain point will make the molecules bond better and perform better as a fuel. Just guessing at this point but also some types of filters throughout the system should get rid of alot of gunk. The whole China rejecting plastic thing made me think of this because they are now burying plastic. What's worse trying to recycle it or have it everywhere you look. I think I remember the smell of it though. Horrible smell sometimes I wonder what additives they put into plastics. Used cooking oil and hydrogen must be better options than this plastic-gas then.