Q-Matic drive sytem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve,
That motor looks to be to large for frame mount unless you plan on cutting and welding a frame. On page 18 of pdf it says its L is12.0in. ,width is14.3in. ,height is 13.2in. Also it will have plenty of grunt but will only turn 3600rpm. For 299.00 you would be better off with the GHX50 thats turns to 7000rpm and will be a smaller footprint . It wont have the grunt but will cruise at 35mph all day.
I did put the Harbor Freight 2.5hp 99.00 motor in a frame mount and found out that it fit but it maxed out at 30mph with the govenor ripped out and a opened exhaust. About 4500rpm. It did haul a bunch and had plenty of torque. I ended up with the Hauge Sheng the Honda GHX50 clone and it cruises at 30 -32 and still has a little left. Not as much torque but it isn't wound out at 30mph like the HF.

Hi Quenton,
Just wondering if the q-matic is ready to be sold yet. You mentioned in one of your posts that it would be ready around the end of October. Do you have an update for us? Some of us are anxious to try it.

Quenton, one point that I'd like to make, is that most auto/bicycle manufacturers DO provide list prices for the equipment they manufacture. Just that information, freely available, would let folks know roughly how much they're going to need to save, before they start getting serious about buying one of your drives...

Last edited:
Q-Matic EZM

Hi abikerider, you are here in Sacramento, and if you would like, I have a running prototype that you can test-ride. It is mounted on a 1962 Schwinn Tornado with HS engine, stock pipe.

You should still have my phone number, if not I am available at 519-8612.

Mike

Is it gear driven, chain, or belt? What is the standard reduction it provides? That wouldn't be letting out too much info would it? Wouldn't want you to have to kill me if you told me too much by accident.

Quenton, one point that I'd like to make, is that most auto/bicycle manufacturers DO provide list prices for the equipment they manufacture. Just that information, freely available, would let folks know roughly how much they're going to need to save, before they start getting serious about buying one of your drives...
Lou,
it has been stated that the MSRP is 650$ + shipping for the full 'silent-drive' manual kit
Quenton gives a tentative price of 249$ + shipping for the Q-matic auto 'gear-box' here
http://www.motoredbikes.com/vb/showpost.php?p=238812&postcount=6

Hopefully the Q-matic will be in full production within the next 30 days. The inductory MSRP will be $249.00 plus shipping. The drive system will not include the heavy-duty chain required, but can be purchased from any Authorized dealer. Most EZM parts are made in CA & NC [in America]. We use a special clutch made by MaxTorque [also an American company]. We currently make the drive covers in NC by Randy Williams [one of the owners of EZM]. I designed the complete system and custom made several for dealer testing. We have tested the system for over a year [unlike other companies] and have made a few improvements along the way [and it didn't cost the consumer a single dime].

Have fun,

Hi KeepOnKeepnON,

I will gladly answer your questions.

The ratios can easily be altered, and we don't use noisy gears.
The front drive is belt, the rear drive is chain, but several converted the rear drive to belt.
The Silent Power [manual] can be set up to run ratios from 20 X 1 to 12.58 X 1. The EZM drive system is the only drive that can span such a wide range of choices[without expensive shift kits].

Gear drives, can't easily alter the primary ratio, cogged belt drives are next to impossible to change the primary ratios in a costly fashion, and design will limit the possibilities. Primary chain drive has encountered too many problems to even consider, including noise, chain stretch, sprocket failure, etc, just to mention a few.

The new Q-Matic reduced the primary options slightly because the stall speed on the MaxTorque clutch must be considered. So the options in the current production design begin with 18.2 x 1 and end with 12.58 X 1.

I can change the ratios on my proto-type Q-Matic in about 15 minuites or less. My Silent drive test drive can be changed from 14.67 X 1 to 16.43 X 1 in about 45 seconds [if the primary drive cover is off].

One of the final production hold ups on the Q-Matic was centered around the need to make ratio changes easier.

Hope this answered all your questions, and we won't have to kill anyone for knowing too much.

Have fun,

Last edited:
Thanks, that is more info than the whole website has. I am much more interested now. I take it that means it is a V belt. A quiet belt drive system is exactly what I am looking for. If you could post that info and some pictures of the tranny on the website it would help tremendously. You guys are seriously shooting yourself in the foot, you need to hook people the moment they get on your site, not make them work for it. The way its set up now, only experienced motor bikers who actually know what they want (and know they do not want the standard equipment) are going to go through the extra work.
Info on converting the secondary drive to a belt drive would be great too. Quiet is one of my primary goals. I think there's money to be made in making that a seperate kit as well, I'd buy it.
Let us know when we can order.

Production has started on the Q-Matic

Hi Everyone,

Accepted final bids on Q-Matic yesterday!

Scheduled delivery 3 weeks.

Aluminum isn't cheap in the USA!

Thousands and thousands of test miles logged by dealers nationwide.

American labor isn't cheap!

Test riders on the West coast
Test riders on the East coast
Test riders in the South [still warm in many areas]
Test riders in the North [a little colder up there]
Test riders along the Atlantic coast [was only 85 today].
The results are in!
We did it right!

Shipping isn't cheap!

As hard as we tried, we couldn't meet the projected MSRP, but only missed by $9.75.
The MSRP is $259.75. No matter how hard we tried to bargain, the American labor force simply wanted paid for their services and quality materials.

The Q-Matic drive was tested on a variety of 4-stroke motors from 35 CCs to 8 HP. It has been tested up hills, against the wind, and with riders from 100 pounds [thanks Ladies] to over 300 pounds. It has and is currently still being tested pulling a trailer in a hilly terrain [Thanks, Bill]. Thanks again Bill for projecting the motorbike as a family friendly form of transportation.

We listened when many requested ease of service, KISS [keep it simple stupid], quality parts, good warranty, silent operation, easily changeable drive ratios, a real working dependable "custom" American made automatic clutch, thin design, adaptability, and maintain backwards compatibility.

The entire system was designed and then machined on CNC equipment in American shops.

Because of design the majority of the power is transmitted from the motor to the rear wheel, and therefore the Q-Matic drive ratios allow better use of the power band.

The production drive ratios will allow the speed of 30 MPH at 6200 RPMs on a 26" bicycle with an average weight rider on a level surface. Considering the ability of the HS or Honda 49 CC 4-strokes to achieve RPMs well above 7500 RPMs, 6200 RPMs is just right for a smooth ride.

Ratios can easily be changed for heavier riders or to compensate for hills.

The Q-Matic and the future Silent Drive II can be attached to most motors with the output to the rear [for frame mount], and 90 degrees downward for rack mount applications [We don't supply rack mounting systems].

Did I mention the Aluminum? Lots & lots of Aluminum in the Q-Matic drive by EZM.

$259.75 MSRP
EZM dealers can answer your questions, call them!

All orders prior to Dec 15th $249.75

Best order quickly because demand should outpace production for a while.

Have fun,

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news. I want one. The thing that excites me most is quieting down my bike. I want to start sourcing the parts to make the final drive a belt rather than chain. You guys have been using the whizzer shieve for this right? What size/where do I get/what mods need to be done for the front pulley? Do you guys carry the parts or recommend a particular source for pulleys/belts?
Now that the design is finalized, lets see a picture of all that sweet aluminum work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back