Q-Matic tranny upgrade

Max-M

Local time
11:08 AM
I replaced the stock lightweight aluminum 5" secondary pulley in my Q-Matic drive this week. The new pulley is a 1.95 lb, cast iron, balanced one. I bought the new pulley from EZ Motorbike; this better pulley is what Quenton uses in the latest generation of Q-Matic drives. This upgrade was well worth the effort and small expense. My bike feels a lot smoother when I get up into the higher RPMs, and it seems to have a little better performance on both the low and high ends of the speedometer. All thanks to the "flywheel effect" of this hefty pulley.

While working on this upgrade, I decided to fabricate a new guard/cover for the Q-Matic. I bought a piece of 26-gauge sheet metal, made a paper template, cut the shape out with my Dremel, made the one 90-degree bend, drilled the screw holes, rounded/beveled/polished the metal, attached a homemade racing number emblem, and then put about 14 coats of clear enamel on the piece! I affixed black oxide 1/4-20 studs to the Q-matic's frame, and then attached the guard to the drive with chrome flat washers, lockwashers and old-timey looking brass wingnuts.

I'm very pleased with the new look and performance of my Q-Matic, and I thought I'd pass my ideas along to the forum.

Cheers,

Max

No_23.jpg

pulley-guard.jpg

Back