quality on products

batteway

Local time
7:45 AM
I know you cant ask to much from Chinese components but I have order three new CDIs here recently and every one of them is non functional out of the box. And all three were from different sellers as well. Has anybody else had an issue with there new CDIs and if not please direct me to a seller that checks there product before the sell to me. Tired of wasting money on broken gear and then getting no help from the sellers "BikeBerry" for one. I have gone over everything and replaced everything down to a new flywhell mag. Thought I was losing my mind till I tested the new CDIs to find bad readings on all from 3 different multimeters. tired of not being able to ride.

I don't know what to tell ya. That's some REALLY bad luck getting 3 brand new CDI's that are DOA. I've dealt with 40+ CDI's from many different suppliers in the past 6 months or so, and I've never had a problem. Yet.

I hear that Jaguar's CDI's are excellent. He's a member if this forum. You can contact him ...or I'm sure he'll be along to see this if you wait.

yeah my CDI is good but I really doubt you got 3 bad stock CDIs.
Did you finally get it to run? If not, then I suggest you dig deeper.

I have dug deeper. I've metered every possible conection to the electrical system trying to find fault somewhere else. I now have new plug, plug wire, magneto, flywheel magnet, upgraded all wire to 12 ga., new kill switch. And all that is aside the fact that when I install my buddies CDI on my bike I took off like a stabbed rat. I appreciate all the effort it takes to produce a new peice of tech for these bikes but I cant bring myself to pay $90 for a CDI that one pop-up florida thunderstorm can destroy. All it takes is the 5 min to walk into a bait shop for a storm to come out of nowhere down here. I would just like to find a supplier who stands out for customer service and reliability. So far the only one to not have failed me is SBP. They however dont carry all the parts one might need. But as long as they have it ill order from them.

Okay. Your friend's CDI worked on your bike when yours wouldn't.

Does it work now on his bike?

The answer to that question should give a good clue about what's going on.

I am curious to know why you thing the Jaguar CDI is more vulnerable to lightning strikes than the standard CDI.
SBP may be selling the jaguar CDI soon.

We once got in a box of CDI units and pulled two in a row out of it that were bad (timing was off). Every other one in the box was good though.

We also got in some magneto stators that had coil readings around 450ohm rather than around 350ohm. We sent those all back since we were afraid they might cause CDI failure.

Did you check the reading of your mag coil?

I built a CDI tester that checks both quality of spark and correctness of timing since trying to tell anything about them by multimeter is not very accurate.

Its not the lightning that I worry about, but the rain. Thats what caused the original problem. I dont care how much you cover things with sealant water still gets in. I dont ride in the rain but you do get caught in it from time to time. And I have tested my magnetos. all of them are testing at 330-350. When I check the new CDI with the red lead to black wire and black lead to blue, im only gettin 110 when I should be around 130 from what I understand. And from the CDI to the plug wire I get nothing from either way tested. Please remember I have replaced everything. Even thought it was my ground maybe not setting well and not closing the loop untill I found the old threads the gave me the #s I should be looking for.

I have never had an original CDI fail, even though they have a crappy ignition curve that pounds out connecting rod bearings.

Out of 6 Jaguar CDI's that i've purchased, i have had one that has been a failure.

I know you cant ask to much from Chinese components but I have order three new CDIs here recently and every one of them is non functional out of the box. And all three were from different sellers as well. Has anybody else had an issue with there new CDIs and if not please direct me to a seller that checks there product before the sell to me. Tired of wasting money on broken gear and then getting no help from the sellers "BikeBerry" for one. I have gone over everything and replaced everything down to a new flywhell mag. Thought I was losing my mind till I tested the new CDIs to find bad readings on all from 3 different multimeters. tired of not being able to ride.
Have gone through hundreds of CDI's and maybe had one bad one since 2008

I don't test CDI's, just replace them with a known good one.

Back