Quarkdude's bike with Boost Bottle installed ( PICS )

Status
Not open for further replies.
One boost bottle or Two - Hmmmmm

does anyone think there is more off a benifit of using two boost bottles cause im ordering one withing the week

I did some research on this very topic of using one or two boost bottles. One would assume that 2 boost bottles would be better. The answer is Yes and No. The theory behind the magic of the boost bottle is that the volume of the bottle should be matched OR ever so slightly larger than the volume of the cylinder that it is taking the intake pulse from and storing it. For a Chinese 80cc engine for example, the closest we can get is a 70cc boost bottle from www.boostbottleindustries.com or other suppliers. For the YES part of the answer to using 2 boost bottles you can as long as the 2 boost bottles combined volume equals 70 or 80cc if you are using an 80cc engine. The NO part of the answer is basically if you use 2 boost bottles that have a combined volume larger than the cylinder volume - say an 80cc cylinder with 2 boost bottles combined that equal 150cc. I'm not sure of the effect of over expanding the intake with a boost bottle(s), but everything I have read says to match the cylinder volume with the boost bottle volume.
Some motorcycle manufacturers have used injection molded plastic square boxes attached to the intake as boost bottles. Heck you could even make your own out of a plastic bottled water bottle I would think ( Haven't tried this - experimentation would be at hand ). The boost bottle I used was already engineered and off the shelf ready to buy, so I just bought it in stead of trying to make my own. Hopefully this helps you on using two boost bottles and feeling confindent that it will work. Most people that see boost bottles on your bike think you have Nitrous Oxide - so having 2 boost bottles really ought to start some conversation. Ha ha

Last edited by a moderator:
Get an NPT 1/4" tap, and put two end caps on 1-1/2" pvc pipe.

Homemade Boost Bottle by skyl4rk

Get an NPT 1/4" tap, and put two end caps on 1-1/2" pvc pipe.

Great idea - could probably build your idea for $5.00 to $8.00
End caps
PVC pipe
1/4" NPT fittings
glue

.........Not bad, I like it....thanks skyl4rk

Only thing about making a DIY boost bottle is to choose a material that is NOT affected by gasoline....Some plastics get eaten up by gas...
Andrew

I have an 80cc chinese engine as well. So you just used the 70cc kit they sell then? I'm pretty interested in getting one of these installed. Don't have anything to really tap in the nozzle myself. Maybe theres another MBc user in Tucson who could help me out. :)

70cc Boost Bottle for 80cc Chinese engine

I have an 80cc chinese engine as well. So you just used the 70cc kit they sell then? I'm pretty interested in getting one of these installed. Don't have anything to really tap in the nozzle myself. Maybe theres another MBc user in Tucson who could help me out. :)

The 70cc bottle from www.boostbottleindustries.com or Ebay search from the this site will be get you the boost bottle kit you need for the modification. The one I used is a 70cc boost bottle - I couldn't find an 80cc unit. I have read that the 80cc is somewhere around 69.8cc's and they call it an 80cc, so the 70cc boost bottle works great with this stock engine setup.
Have fun adapting the kit if you get one. It really is not to hard to install.
............quarkdude

Homemade Boost Bottle

Only thing about making a DIY boost bottle is to choose a material that is NOT affected by gasoline....Some plastics get eaten up by gas...
Andrew

You have a point there. Schedule 40 or Schedule 80 PVC should hold up to gasoline I would guess for a homemade boost unit.
.............quarkdude

I just bought a boost bottle. What can I say, you convinced me. I'm a little unclear about how you installed it though. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like you drilled the initial hole into the intake manifold. Did you use the 23/64" drill bit like the instructions suggested or did you use a more standard size? When you tapped the hole did you just use a standard 1/8" npt tap? And after the hole was drilled did you cut the fitting so it didn't block the flow of the intake manifold? How much did you cut it? Sorry I know this is a lot of questions but I would really appreciate some guidance on this.

edit, edit, edit: well, since there weren't any full pics, but only some great close-ups, it was an easy choice...moved to "wild..." obviously :)

good topic...i was told once that a boost bottle was one thing that would provide some added performance to the happy-time the "right way."

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back