Quarkdude's bike with Boost Bottle installed ( PICS )

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok guys heres the deal with boost bottles! you need to duplicate exact cylender volume with boost bottle volume for it to work the best.with my 49cc its a piece of 1 inch sch 40 pvc 3 inches long with glue caps! very noticeable improvement on pocket bike engine!! standard 49cc mitsubishi!- rock on !!

I just bought a boost bottle. What can I say, you convinced me. I'm a little unclear about how you installed it though. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like you drilled the initial hole into the intake manifold. Did you use the 23/64" drill bit like the instructions suggested or did you use a more standard size? When you tapped the hole did you just use a standard 1/8" npt tap? And after the hole was drilled did you cut the fitting so it didn't block the flow of the intake manifold? How much did you cut it? Sorry I know this is a lot of questions but I would really appreciate some guidance on this.

Hello joelvanderhoof,
In answer to your questions. I followed the directions that come with the boost bottle and used exactly what you quoted: I drilled a 23/64" hole in the intake manifold and tapped it with a standard 1/8" NPT tap. I did cut the fitting to clear the air path inside of the intake manifold so it didn't block flow. I used a belt sander to cut it down - smooth and square cut. Makes it easy to start the thread when you go to screw the 1/8" NPT fitting into the intake manifold. Now for how much I cut down - i didn't measure it - I kinda used trial and error to fit it. I screwed the 1/8" NPT fitting into the intake and make a mark with a Sharpie pen from the inside of the intake manifold to give me a rough estimate of where to put the cut. I then used the belt sander to slowly remove material. I did this about 4 or 5 times and in between each time I screwed the NPT fitting into the intake for a test fit and eye balled it to see if I needed to take off any more material. About the 5th time it looked pretty good. Then I used some Loctite thread locker on the threads of the NPT fitting just as a feel good that it won't back up. I have 60 miles on the setup now and it is working perfect.
.............thanks quarkdude

I just installed my 70cc boost bottle following quarkdude's instructions without any problems. I just took the bike out for a spin and found that I really needed to adjust the idle and the carb screw. The bike was practically going at cruising speed with my old idle settings after i tightened the carb screw :) A few adjustments later I've got it working great. I'm getting a lot more power while using a lot less gas too. This was a great addition to the bike. I've attached some pics of my setup. I also used augidog's method for making a new chain roller with bearings. It's much quieter than the plastic piece of **** that came with my kit. I'm probably going to tweak it a little but my chain is tight and quiet now. My ride is a little dirty at the moment. my old loser chain setup got some grease on the wheels. Now that I've got the tuning down I can move on to the aesthetics.

Attachments

• boost bottle setup.JPG
    boost bottle setup.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,258
  • closeup of tap.JPG
    closeup of tap.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,143
  • new roller.JPG
    new roller.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,086
  • roller setup.JPG
    roller setup.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 1,048
  • the ride.JPG
    the ride.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 1,187
Boost bottle install

I just installed my 70cc boost bottle following quarkdude's instructions without any problems. I just took the bike out for a spin and found that I really needed to adjust the idle and the carb screw. The bike was practically going at cruising speed with my old idle settings after i tightened the carb screw :) A few adjustments later I've got it working great. I'm getting a lot more power while using a lot less gas too. This was a great addition to the bike. I've attached some pics of my setup. I also used augidog's method for making a new chain roller with bearings. It's much quieter than the plastic piece of **** that came with my kit. I'm probably going to tweak it a little but my chain is tight and quiet now. My ride is a little dirty at the moment. my old loser chain setup got some grease on the wheels. Now that I've got the tuning down I can move on to the aesthetics.

Hello joelvanderhoof,
What can I say but AWESOME. Your bike looks great, and what a unique place on your frame to put the boost bottle. I'm glad my instructions helped you with your install. I still can't believe how much smoother running the engine is after the boost bottle install. Just as you, I had to turn down my idle screw also - it was running a little high for idle. The greatest improvement I have seen is the engine rev's a lot quicker with less throttle and gets up to speed a lot faster as well. Great job, it looks magnificent.
............quarkdude

dang, that bikes clean!!!!! the bike i always wanted but never could be... love the boost bottle, where'd you get it???

jon

Hey quarkdude,
Im not very good at the whole installing thing, I dont have a lot of experience with power tools and grinding stuff away, stuff like that. But I am in a metal/wood shop class in highschool and have access to all of it. If I buy one of these bottles, do you think that the instructions are easy enough for me to follow?

Tommy,

If you are in a shop class in school, ask your shop teacher to help. Tell him what you are doing and ask if he will look over your shoulder while you drill the manifold, thread it and grind the excess metal off the nipple. Chances are, if he is any good, he'll try to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back