Question about chain...

Navrothian

Local time
6:30 AM
I got my new 56 tooth sprocket the other day. It will replace my 44 tooth that came with the kit.

Would it be kosher to use 2 415 master links with a few links between them so I can easily add/remove the extra links incase I want to switch between both gears depending on the application I am using it for?

Thanks

I got my new 56 tooth sprocket the other day. It will replace my 44 tooth that came with the kit.

Would it be kosher to use 2 415 master links with a few links between them so I can easily add/remove the extra links incase I want to switch between both gears depending on the application I am using it for?

Thanks

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. If one master link is fine, more than one should also be fine.

Thanks
No problem.

Just watch for wear, if you want to use both on the same chain then you'll want to try to use both equally as far as riding goes, using one too much will put the sprocket and chain out of sync with the remaining sprocket and you'll start noticing that the chain will feel jumpy or "crunchy" when it doesn't mesh right.

If you use the smaller sprocket more often and that tiny section of extra chain doesn't stretch enough then when swapping to a large sprocket you'll probably snap the chain.

Use both sprockets equally and you won't have too much trouble, especially if you're vigilant during the break in period when the cheap chains tend to do most of their stretching.

Just watch for wear, if you want to use both on the same chain then you'll want to try to use both equally as far as riding goes, using one too much will put the sprocket and chain out of sync with the remaining sprocket and you'll start noticing that the chain will feel jumpy or "crunchy" when it doesn't mesh right.

If you use the smaller sprocket more often and that tiny section of extra chain doesn't stretch enough then when swapping to a large sprocket you'll probably snap the chain.

Use both sprockets equally and you won't have too much trouble, especially if you're vigilant during the break in period when the cheap chains tend to do most of their stretching.
I see what you're thinking, but the last bit should be "use the smaller sprocket rarely and you won't have too much trouble".

I see what you're thinking, but the last bit should be "use the smaller sprocket rarely and you won't have too much trouble".
But if he used it rarely then it would have closer to half inch pitch than the larger one and chain would, as soon as he swapped to the smaller one if the chain is "oversized" then he will get problems with the chain not wanting to wrap over the teeth right.

He has to use both equally enough that neither has any more pronounced wear than the other or the chain will end up being problematic. It wouldnt be too different than putting a chain from a bike that had 1000 miles onto an equal bike but with only 200 miles on the drive system. The chain wouldn't mesh up the same way, and if the difference is large enough it won't even completely sit down against the sprocket and instead float on parts of the teeth, which is how you break chains. One way you do it at least..

But if he used it rarely then it would have closer to half inch pitch than the larger one and chain would, as soon as he swapped to the smaller one if the chain is "oversized" then he will get problems with the chain not wanting to wrap over the teeth right.

He has to use both equally enough that neither has any more pronounced wear than the other or the chain will end up being problematic. It wouldnt be too different than putting a chain from a bike that had 1000 miles onto an equal bike but with only 200 miles on the drive system. The chain wouldn't mesh up the same way, and if the difference is large enough it won't even completely sit down against the sprocket and instead float on parts of the teeth, which is how you break chains. One way you do it at least..
But the problem is the difference in wear on the chain section that is only used with the larger sprocket. If the two sprockets are used equally then the short extra section of chain gets half the wear of the main section.
A sprocket should last about three times as long as a chain. (Normally, IME, on bicycles)

I will be installing the sprocket on a different wheel altogether, both sprockets will not be used at the same time (if that's even possible), so it will be a quick and easy change, I don't have hub mounted sprocket unfortunately.

Great information here, thanks for allowing me to see this from all different angels. Considering just getting a 2nd chain altogether now, to make sure the wear is even, I go on long trips and I would hate to have a chain problem out in la la land with no way to fix it. My mobile toolkit is heavy enough.

Considering just getting a 2nd chain altogether now, to make sure the wear is even, I go on long trips and I would hate to have a chain problem out in la la land with no way to fix it. .
My mobile toolkit is heavy enough.[/quote]
Why not just build a shifter and be done with it?

FitoDone2RFbarsLow.jpg

A sick Bike Parts Jackshaft Sifting Kit will transfer power over to right side so you can use the bikes gearing!

FitoDone2L.jpg

I have to smile at changing sprockets, that's a pain in the butt!
This changes sprockets too, 7 of them, and you can use a rear disc brake ;-}

FitoDone2R.jpg

The pedals and two sprockets are mounted to a freewheel bearing.
You can pedal home if you run out of gas, start the bike, and when the engine is running you can pedal along, or not pedal all and still haul donkeys ;-}

That's a sexy looken bike right there, kinda makes me jelous.

I have looked at the jackshafts, will try at some point in the future, might be a bit over my head still.

Thanks for the reply

Back