Question about chain...

I will be installing the sprocket on a different wheel altogether, both sprockets will not be used at the same time (if that's even possible), so it will be a quick and easy change, I don't have hub mounted sprocket unfortunately.

Great information here, thanks for allowing me to see this from all different angels. Considering just getting a 2nd chain altogether now, to make sure the wear is even, I go on long trips and I would hate to have a chain problem out in la la land with no way to fix it. My mobile toolkit is heavy enough.
Thanks, I've never been called an angel before! :D:oops:

It sounds sensible to carry the second chain with the second wheel. You only have to keep an eye on the front 10t sprocket and make sure you replace your decent quality chain regularly and on time to extend the lifetime of sprockets.

10 new links measure 254mm
Replace the chain at 255.5mm

If you left it too late and the 10 links of chain is 257mm then either move the chain and sprockets to your beater bike and run them together until trashed or put them in the spares bin.

I should have said above its cassettes that generally speaking as a rule of thumb last for three chains, the larger front sprockets last a bit longer than that, as long as the chain is replaced when necessary.

Yes I think it's completely possible to get both sprockets on the same wheel and shift on the fly; they've been doing this on the right hand side for decades. Someone just needs to make it work.

I think it's completely possible to get both sprockets on the same wheel and shift on the fly;
they've been doing this on the right hand side for decades.
Someone just needs to make it work.
Someone else of course.
Sigh...
This has been talked about for a decade.

It's one thing to bend 710 7-speed chain with a derailleur, but I think you will find 415 chain is considerably less willing to bend.

This is why SickBikeParts came up with the jackshaft kit.

2-stroke or 4-Stoke kits, and I made the 10G long shaft.
It puts the output right over the right side pedals.

GT2-10G-53-DoneRR.jpg

Sturmey Archer internal 5 speed disc brake hub.

GT2-10G-53-DoneRF.jpg

HS 144F 53cc 4-stroke.

2_GT2-10G-53-DoneL-1280.jpg

Furry, you are just beating whats left of the dead 'Left side gears' horse.

Last edited:
Someone else of course.
Sigh...
This has been talked about for a decade.

It's one thing to bend 710 7-speed chain with a derailleur, but I think you will find 415 chain is considerably less willing to bend.

This is why SickBikeParts came up with the jackshaft kit.

2-stroke or 4-Stoke kits, and I made the 10G long shaft.
It puts the output right over the right side pedals.

GT2-10G-53-DoneRR.jpg

Sturmey Archer internal 5 speed disc brake hub.

GT2-10G-53-DoneRF.jpg

HS 144F 53cc 4-stroke.

2_GT2-10G-53-DoneL-1280.jpg

Furry, you are just beating whats left of the dead 'right side gears' horse.
Not at all. Right side gears are fine and you just posted photos of functional right side gears that have been improved over the years. SBP added new tensioners and redesigned the mount system, and you made the 10G shaft. But that's a dead horse? No one can possibly improve on that?

I am not even saying I can improve on the RHS gears. I actually think the S.B.P. Shift Kit is the best for my needs. It is just a bit expensive for the parts I need and the shipping.
I also didnt say that I will or the OP should tackle the left side bump start derailleur multi speed! I only said it is possible. Walking around on the moon is also possible. You can buy a ticket to ride in space now. I didn't say what tools and resources are required! (That would depend on how cleverly you solve the problem though wouldn't it? o_O )

My own plan for the left side bump start single speed drivetrain was just to leave getting a shift kit until the winter or spring and try and get the bike rideable this summer before the mackerel are all gone.
Since I'll be using bicycle sprockets anyway (I don't want to import from the USA every time I need to replace or fancy trying a different size sprocket) I can probably/hopefully lighten the single speed drivetrain a bit. Maybe try a x9e sometime in the future.

In fact I am only leaving the door open.
Open, possibly, to an inexpensive "stop,-get-off-and-shifter". Who knows? Open, perhaps, to left side real gears.. and why not?
There's little advantage, in this hobby, to closing any doors to future fun experimentation! :cool:

I've been wanting to run dual output sprockets of differing size with dual wheel sprockets of differing size but same tooth count overall to be able to get off and swap the chain over for a different ratio for a while. My frame doesn't really have the room though...

This really is starting to sound a little crazy to do... It would be a thousand and 1 times more practical to jackshaft a 2 speed hub lol.....

It just doesn't make sense to go through a weird double left side sprocket deal on a motorized bicycle, these aren't really some crazy go kart or dirt bike type bikes that actually can be benefited from having those 2 options readily available. Even then most are going to have a freakin transmission type set up anyway and the optional gear is for flats or hills, more speed or better acceleration and pull.

These bikes have the very natural capacity to add that magical transmission that makes riding basically anything way more fun and much more practical than physically removing chains and other crap just to have selective gearing. Even the worst most dirt cheap Walmart bike with 3 clunky gears could be fully taken advantage of for a modest investment.

That swapping gears and chains thing can get pretty old unless you do it maybe 3 times a year, but then you aren't really wearing the chain right, and it will get funky when new links are introduced and are made to intermingle with the more worn sprocket and the less worn one.

I say don't start that cycle of annoyance, just get a basic kit if you are going to be easy on it, and then enjoy the bike as a bike, the whole point is not to put much effort into riding and gears just ensure that it all goes well.

Honestly how often do you go changing fixie bike gears unless you are extremely into those types of sports. If you are actually into true racing of these things like what you see with some users here then it could be ideal in very limited circumstance to have that gearing option on a direct drive bike. But those bikes usually have several thousand invested into them and are actually real racing machines for the class of vehicle. A good portion of them use a jackshaft type kit to make their racing bikes, and for good reason, a transmission does the best job at distributing power across a large range of speed.

Don't forget that in the extreme off chance that you won't like the jackshaft you could absolutely resale the whole thing at a profit and start over with a new bike a new motor, except with more experience under your belt.

So to really answer the question in the first place, would it be kosher? Well I suppose so, but it's also kind of dumb... Jackshafts aren't dumb however and they are kosher as well in the religion of motorized bicycling.

I've been wanting to run dual output sprockets of differing size with dual wheel sprockets of differing size but same tooth count overall to be able to get off and swap the chain over for a different ratio for a while. My frame doesn't really have the room though...
I think the difficulty there is moving the chain over to another front sprocket without splitting and threading it requires that there's a bit of room around the circumference of the larger sprocket so the chain can run on the outside of the teeth for a few links while it is repositioned, and that's not easy with the spacial constraint of the three bolts. Were you thinking of a 9&11t double output sprocket?

I think the difficulty there is moving the chain over to another front sprocket without splitting and threading it requires that there's a bit of room around the circumference of the larger sprocket so the chain can run on the outside of the teeth for a few links while it is repositioned, and that's not easy with the spacial constraint of the three bolts. Were you thinking of a 9&11t double output sprocket?
I've thought of that with a double rear sprocket and only enough room between so a single chain could fit at a time.

Put a backer on the drive gear cover to make space, and get a longer bucking bar from some hard steel material. Then you just remove one chain and put the other on, the separate gear combos wear at their own separate rates. Both drive sprockets are 10 tooth and are welded together after being trimmed down. The clutch shaft would be removed and a small 6-8mm bit of threaded pipe or hollow shaft is welded onto it extending the thread part so you can get a nut on it. I figured a spare clutch shaft could be butchered for the part.

Then I bought a shift kit and dropped that idea like a melon.

I've thought of that with a double rear sprocket and only enough room between so a single chain could fit at a time.

Put a backer on the drive gear cover to make space, and get a longer bucking bar from some hard steel material. Then you just remove one chain and put the other on, the separate gear combos wear at their own separate rates. Both drive sprockets are 10 tooth and are welded together after being trimmed down. The clutch shaft would be removed and a small 6-8mm bit of threaded pipe or hollow shaft is welded onto it extending the thread part so you can get a nut on it. I figured a spare clutch shaft could be butchered for the part.

Then I bought a shift kit and dropped that idea like a melon.
You dropped the main idea of a double output with double rear sprocket: a single chain that stays the same length, stays connected. I'm not surprised that the shift kit looked like the better option.

I agree the width is easily dealt with especially as there's a 3/32" single speed chain. But I'm not going to persue this. I don't think a double front sprocket is for me.
I'm not going to say the idea is a dead horse just because I am not going to try to make it work.

I'm sure there's easier ways to change the single speed gearing while out on a ride, and hopefully still avoiding repeatedly unbolting the blue loctited top hat adapter from the aluminium threads in the hub.

With regards to how useful two single speed ratios on the bike could really be, I think that is just a matter of personal circumstances!
I can see a use for it even if it takes minutes to change the ratio because I know routes that would be good for. I live on the coast, you see. It's flat for 60 miles each way on the traffic free cycle routes, but every road going inland is up hill, but I don't think I want to ride 60 miles there with a hill climbing rear sprocket.
IMG_20170105_083446.jpg

33eb939ed07e98f3db5af8cb948ac910acf5ddd8.jpeg

Your challenge is going to be keeping the chain on either sprocket as neither is alinened with the engine if you have two sprockets.

Power on brow, you have something to play with building, and then get the rush of making it go regardless of the distance it can make it ;-}

Back