Question about chain #

T

toxicmammoth

I just got my 80cc kit today. I'm working on a funky jackshaft idea so I won't be using the out of box configuration. I have a question about chain #.

I should know this but I'm asking the forum. all my go karts & minibikes were #35 chain. I need to order a sprocket or two so I need to double check the following..

1. Bicycle chain - what # is it - <maybe #41???>

2. The chain that come with the 80cc kit - what # is it. <me thinks #40>

Any help here would be great!

Thanks!

Most (all?) the kits come with a #415 chain. (from the dax site)

I went to buy an extra master link, and all I could find was a 35, 40, 41 ect....luckily, the bike shop near here sells these engines pre-mounted on new bikes and he had a spare #415.

I did a google search and found 415 chain mostly from moped shops online.

My old Honda 90 used a #428 and another I had a #420

Confusion sets in......

Can someone offer some clarity here?

Thanks!

I didn't even know there was such a thing as 415 chain!

Thanks for the links as well! I came across this one once I kinda knew what I was looking for.

Chain - Pitch - roll width - roller dia
bike- 1/2 - 1/8 - 5/16
415 - 1/2 - 3/16 - 5/16
420 - 1/2 - 1/4 - 5/16
#40 - 1/2 - 5/16 - 5/16

So the roll pin diameter is all the same, its just the width - the distance between the inside of the plates that differ.

Well on my Schwinn chopper, the chain was too short and we replaced it with #41-1R works like a dream!

Still awaiting my "test chain"....I ordered it from an eBay seller and it was to be shipped Priority mail....I got a sad sack story about how they have "too many customers" and not enough staff! Still waiting after 12 days. :mad:

Back