Question about complete kits

M

macarollo

I am interested in building a motored bike. I think I want to go the kit route...

Here are a few I am looking at... what do you think?

Do you think there is a major difference in these different vendors?

Only $190 plus shipping....
http://www.zoombicycles.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_new&product_id=17&category_id=1&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=29

$235 plus shipping...
http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/Engine_Kit1.htm

$170 shipped...
http://cgi.ebay.com/70cC-MOTOR-moto...ryZ75211QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Can anyone else recommend an inexpensive, somewhat reliable kit?

Also, do they sell geaboxes that you can easily add to this kind of kit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I would disagree that all kits are the same

POWERKING.....nice parts (seen at least 5-6 of there kits..all nice parts..all the same)

ive seen another kit of the same engine..yet poor quailty parts ( i not here to ruin no ones business so i leave it at that)

just my expereince

Madwack

Last edited:
6/27/08 - Ordered kit from Zoombicycles.com
7/3/08 - Received kit from Zoombicycles.com
7/4/08 to 7/6/08 - Worked on bicycle with a licensed mechanic and found out motor is DOA. Emailed them immediately.
7/7/08 - Got a call from Zoombicycles, saying they will see if there're any other suggestions on how to fix the motor before sending it back.
7/9/08 to 7/20/08 - Called and emailed multiple times without hearing back anything.
7/21/08 - Finally got a reply saying I need to ship it back. They will test and send out a new motor if they determine it's dead. I gotta pay for shipping.
7/22/08 - Sent via UPS.
7/25/08 - Packaged received, signed by JHON.
7/28/08 up to today 8/7/08 - No emails, no phone calls, no status updates, no info what so ever from Zoombicycles.com.

I'm not so sure about the people giving them thumbs up, since I certainly am not getting any support/responses from them. I'm still waiting for a working motor to be shipped to me... if it ever gets shipped. Very poor customer service if you ask me. Maybe I'm the only one?! If so, then lucky me!?

Sorry, didn't know where else to complain...!

For what it's worth...

I just built my first bike and I got it from bluecollarbikes.com. The price was good, the response was good, and it was not very hard to put together. Obviously I've only put one of these together so you can take that for what it's worth . . .

Update from my previous post:

I finally got in touch with John at Zoombicycles.com, and first I have to pay to ship the defective product back to them, then after 4 weeks, and few emails/phone calls later, I finally get another motor shipped to me....

GUESS WHAT -- IT'S DEAD ALSO! Same thing, the small sprocket won't turn at all. Took off the spark plug and thought maybe it's compression, but nope. Won't work what so ever.

Emailing them again, and yeah, no replies. Surprised? No.... What a terrible experience for a newbie.

Gonna dispute this with the credit card company, and glad gas prices are coming back down! For sheesh!!!!

I'm sorry that your first time out of the gate went south. Check out the vendor review section, there you will find vendors that will treat you right.

Update 10/5/08:

I talked to John at Zoombicycles.com on 10/2/08. Discussed the problems, and he sent over a motor dissection diagram. Worked with my bro-in-law the mechanic and took the motor apart, lubed them up, put them back together, and some elbow grease later, finally got the sprocket rotating.

Glad I finally got some helpful hints from them, but certainly these motors are different each time. This motor I got from them didn't work well with my custom mount so needed to work on that a little bit again. Actually this motor is better than the last one.

Anyway, I'll still need to do more tweaking so the motor will run smoothly, but I'm glad ZoomBicycles did finally get back to me and worked with me on getting the issue resolved. If I didn't know a mechanic, this would've been a lot tougher though.

Now if you could only see my big smile when the motor first fired up!!!!

Back