Question About GX50

Solux

Local time
2:50 AM
Hey all, I have a quick question. I've typically been riding at 20mph which is just about 1/2 throttle or a little less than half.

I'm trying to take it easy on the motor and kind of babying it. Is it okay to WOT on these kits?

I'm curious how fast it will get up to. But don't want to blow the motor or something. Thanks.

After it was broken in, I've punished my GX50. So far, no problems.
Farthest I've ridden was 70 miles at WOT! Only stopping to fill the tiny tank(this was before I made a larger tank.)
I say, ride it like you a stole it...have fun....lol🤘
I regularly get speeds in the low(sometimes mid) 30mph range with the 1.34" roller.
You can tweak the tire pressure and friction roller pressure for max speed.

After it was broken in, I've punished my GX50. So far, no problems.
Farthest I've ridden was 70 miles at WOT! Only stopping to fill the tiny tank(this was before I made a larger tank.)
I say, ride it like you a stole it...have fun....lol🤘
I regularly get speeds in the low(sometimes mid) 30mph range with the 1.34" roller.
You can tweak the tire pressure and friction roller pressure for max speed.
Hey I wanted to ask you, how did you mount your larger tank? I was thinking of doing likes others have and mount a 1 gallon jug on the opposite side of my engine.

Also, my 700c tires are rated at 55-75 PSI. What would be best you think?

I'm still trying to figure out how much pressure to apply to the tire. I guess over time I'll find the sweet spot. I know Staton suggests 1/8 - 3/16 of an inch.

A jug plumbed from inside the frame bag has worked best for me so far.

First I tried a 1 gal. jug, inside a bag, mounted to the right side of the friction housing.
Personally, I think the frame bag looks "cleaner", maybe a bit more aerodynamic🤷‍♂️, but most importantly....it's clear of any moving parts. 👍
As far as tire & friction pressure, you'll just have to do some trial and error to find out what works best for your bike.
Also, make sure your brake pads are clear of the rim(or disk) to minimize friction. I've also repacked the wheel hub bearings, so I know they're greased up well and won't seize up on me. And, minimized the friction on the bearings by adjusting the bearing cones so the wheels spin freely.
20200227_124814.jpg
20200225_142821.jpg
20200314_163945.jpg

Last edited:
A jug plumbed from inside the frame bag has worked best for me so far.

First I tried a 1 gal. jug, inside a bag, mounted to the right side of the friction housing.
Personally, I think the frame bag looks "cleaner", maybe a bit more aerodynamic, but most importantly....it's clear of any moving parts. 👍
As far as tire & friction pressure, you'll just have to do some trial and error to find out what works best for your bike.
View attachment 99123View attachment 99124View attachment 99125
Sick, love the setup. What are you using to hold the gas inside the frame bag?

Just an old quart of oil, with the two lines plumbed through the lid, but you could use anything that fits I suppose.
Sick, love the setup. What are you using to hold the gas inside the frame bag?
20200826_235808.jpg

I recently cracked the lid, so I've got to make a new one👎
You can also get an MSR bottle, or something similar, for extra gas and keep it secured in one of those Topeak bottle holders someone else mentioned.

Last edited:
Back