Question about Licensure (Illinois)

unoahguy

Local time
11:26 AM
I live in a mid-sized downstate city in Illinois and called the police sergeant about what license is required to ride a whizzer on the streets. He said there are no special requirements. Is this the same for you guys?

Technically a Whizzer would be considered a m/c in CO because of the 139cc[?] engine size. Others might argue it's just a bicycle and needs nothing legally. Welcome to our hobby and all the legality opinions. Even cops in our state have different opinions on the subject. Problem is you get 3 or 4 tickets in one stop then hire a lawyer to defend yourself. Even if you win did you with the time invested and attorney fees?

I live in a mid-sized downstate city in Illinois and called the police sergeant about what license is required to ride a whizzer on the streets. He said there are no special requirements. Is this the same for you guys?
Same Here in CA. No license, Reg or insurance. Moped and M/B rules are different in every state.
Illinois and CA. are one of the few states that requires nothing. Were Lucky
CA. only requires the M/B to have a M/B DMV sticker with a one time fee of $20.
I never got a M/B sticker in over 15 years It's kinda like a Reg. for a bicycle. If I ever get a warning I'll buy a M/B sticker then.

I did ask the CA. DMV, They wanted me to pay a yearly fee for a registration and a license plate. They just wanted some money.
The New Generation Whizzer is on the Books as being 1.95 HP auto trans and max speed 25mph.
In the CA. DMV M/B rules. That Qualifies the Whizzer to only need the M/B sticker.
We all know with a wrench and a few turns of the screwdriver that 138cc Whizzer becomes 4-5 HP and max speed is 50+ mph

So if ya go to the DMV and tell them ya got a 138cc M/B and what do ya need to be legal. They won't look anything up they will just tell ya your gonna have to register it and get a plate.

I even told my insurance company AAA that I wanted Insurance on my Whizzer. They said CA. don't consider a Whizzer M/B as a Motor vehicle and I don't need a license either. They looked it up. They also told me if I wanted insurance to put it on my homeowners policy in case of theft.
So if I can't get insurance I sure as hell ain't gonna reg it at the DMV and pay them money every year.

To get the CA. DMV M/B sticker ya just print out the M/B form on line and send em $20 You don't even have to give them the make, model, year or serial# Only your name and address. Not worth $20 to me

Yes, New Gen Whizzers do have a Vin# and a title, But don't tell anyone in the DMV or a Cop

More Info than ya asked, I just wanted to share. Ride and have fun

New York State sucks at times,, But I've never had a problem riding my motorized bike in central NY

Back