Question About Oil.

Calvin

Local time
11:45 AM
Hey everyone!

I am about to start my first build, and wanna treat my engine right. So, what oil do you guys use in your 2-strokes? I have heard good things about AMSoil. Do they make good oil?

Also, would this be a wise option:
https://smile.amazon.com/Royal-Purp...8&qid=1495134861&sr=8-8&keywords=2+stroke+oil

I don't want to pointlessly spend a large amount of money on oil, but because motor bikes are fuel efficient, I do want to get the right oil.

Thanks for any help!

Do not use synthetic oil for break-in! Especially for the first tank, the rings need to wear-in, use regular 2 stroke oil. The rings will seat better if you vary load and RPM. I use Wal-Mart house brand ( i think it's called Tech-1) 32:1 mix. Then you can use a high-dollar synthetic oil, but the cheap stuff works fine. We're talking about a $100 engine. You'll have plenty of other things to worry about.

Do not use synthetic oil for break-in! Especially for the first tank, the rings need to wear-in, use regular 2 stroke oil. The rings will seat better if you vary load and RPM. I use Wal-Mart house brand ( i think it's called Tech-1) 32:1 mix. Then you can use a high-dollar synthetic oil, but the cheap stuff works fine. We're talking about a $100 engine. You'll have plenty of other things to worry about.
So don't use oil that's not good enough for the most important part of the engine's life but then use "crap" oil for the remainder of the life of said motor? Something doesn't add up, if it's good enough for the last 5000 miles why isn't it OK for the first 200...

Me thinks synthetic is just as good, it's got properties that make it uniquely better at lubrication and heat dissipation while hanging onto all the capabilities of Dino juice. I'd prefer an oil that didn't coat my plug and exhaust so easily in carbon buildup, which isn't the best way to run in a motor.

I'm just saying not to get carried away with the high-dollar hype. These are not Ferrari's running 10,000 RPM. Synthetics lubricate too well for break-in, you need fiction to seat the rings. Any oil that's designed for 2 strokes will do a good job for these engines, if mixed at the proper ratio. But, if you want to spend $15 bucks a quart for oil, be my guest.

I'm just saying not to get carried away with the high-dollar hype. These are not Ferrari's running 10,000 RPM. Synthetics lubricate too well for break-in, you need fiction to seat the rings. Any oil that's designed for 2 strokes will do a good job for these engines, if mixed at the proper ratio. But, if you want to spend $15 bucks a quart for oil, be my guest.
Friction is achieved by running it nice and hard, really sits the rings against the cylinder, and when that friction generates lots of metallic particles that end up killing a motor you want a good lube to dampen the damage while also having good detergent properties to clean and pull the crap out of there.

I do spend 15 bucks or so on a quart but at 2 ounces a tank I'm getting long life and dependability and while I'm spending an extra 2 dollars a gallon my gas mileage is still way better than my truck after accounting for what I could have had in gas and regardless of all else I'm having fun while doing so.

Redline racing 2 stroke oil. When I want to tear it up, and I do, I can.
816-40603.jpg

I use Lucas synthetic oil from the start until it's death and it works well giving many miles use!It is deffinatly not a Ferrari but it does turn 11,000-12,000 rpm!

I use Lucas synthetic oil from the start until it's death and it works well giving many miles use!It is deffinatly not a Ferrari but it does turn 11,000-12,000 rpm!
What ratio, I know that I can probably get away with the redline at 100:1 ratio if I was easy on the motor, apparently people doing that in their weedwhackers just like that no issue. I think the lowest I could feel comfortable with is 50:1 but I get rough on my bike and keep the compression a bit high.

How does it keep up with not chalking up and leaving carbon on everything?

Back